How to blend beers (post carbonation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoNova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guys,

I would like to blend two very similar beers to free up a keg. I have about 1/4 of a keg of each and both are fully carbonated. Is it ok to simply rack one into the other? I thought I read on here once that we should avoid racking carbonated beer.

Cheers!
:mug:

I've not done it but the Pros rack carbed beer every day. I would just attach the outlet of one keg to the outlet of the final keg and slightly unscrew the pressure relief valve to allow a flow. Just my 2 cents

Should be good if they're both at the same pressure. You should need to vent the receiving keg a few times during the transfer, and go outlet to outlet as mentioned above, and you'll be fine.

Blending is a great way to create something new!

Should be good if they're both at the same pressure. You should need to vent the receiving keg a few times during the transfer, and go outlet to outlet as mentioned above, and you'll be fine.

Blending is a great way to create something new!

Thanks guys. I'm a bit confused on what "outlet to outlet" means. My thought is to replace my picnic tap with a liquid disconnect. And then attach the liquid disconnect to the "out" post on the second keg. If the pressure in the second keg is lower, then the beer from the first keg should flow into the second keg. Does this sound about right?

Thanks again for the help!:mug:

Probably the best way is to make a "jumper cable" type set up. That's what I do.
I've never moved to a 1/2 full keg, but I "jumped" into empty kegs all the time. I like to do it when I take a keg on the road, to leave the sediment behind in the first keg.

Anyway, how it works is this- black QD, beerline (about 3' is good), black QD. That's it. Then, put the first black QD on the first keg. Vent the second keg so that there is no pressure on it. (Take the receiving keg OFF the gas!) Turn the psi down to about 2psi on your regulator. Then place the second black QD on the "out" post of the receiving keg. You're going from "out" to "out" with the black QDs. The beer will start to flow. Keep pulling the pressure relief valve on the second keg. That's it! The beer will foam slightly, but not as much as if you were racking or using the faucet.

Probably the best way is to make a "jumper cable" type set up. That's what I do.
I've never moved to a 1/2 full keg, but I "jumped" into empty kegs all the time. I like to do it when I take a keg on the road, to leave the sediment behind in the first keg.

Anyway, how it works is this- black QD, beerline (about 3' is good), black QD. That's it. Then, put the first black QD on the first keg. Vent the second keg so that there is no pressure on it. (Take the receiving keg OFF the gas!) Turn the psi down to about 2psi on your regulator. Then place the second black QD on the "out" post of the receiving keg. You're going from "out" to "out" with the black QDs. The beer will start to flow. Keep pulling the pressure relief valve on the second keg. That's it! The beer will foam slightly, but not as much as if you were racking or using the faucet.

Worked perfectly--thanks guys (and gal)!:mug:

Back