Lautering temps <170* grist/mash or water temp ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyburt

Reaction score
Well I seem to be confused about something here with lautering.

Is the water temp supposed to be <170* or is that supposed to be the grist temp after adding water?

I've been doing well with my batches but am having a hard time hitting 170* grist temp and am now begining to think I have this all wrong. if so I may be screwed as my last batch I added 181* water YIKES:confused:

first you want to mash somewhere around 150 or so. that is the temp of the grain and water after adding it to the grain. once you drain your wort you then sparge at 170 or so. again you want to get the grain up to that temp. if your having trouble with that add hotter water.

yeah I hit my temps for mashing jsut fine...in fact I usually hit higher based on the greenbayrackers calculator even without warming the MLT up.

but when it comes to lautering I have to bring my temps WAY higher than what the calulator says like 181* when it says use 173*).

BUt it sounds like what you said is waht I was thinking....it's the temp of the grist that needs to be 170 or less not the water you are adding

When i sparge (batch), i actually have to have water heated just below boiling for my SECOND batch sparge to make the bed reach 170F. The numbers don't factor in loss-of-heat due to the physical transfering of the water, so i chalk it up to a "know your system" type thing for future brews.

Back