Wort Mixer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what exactly are you going to be mixing with this?

Your original post says that you are mixing your wort, but there's no real need to mix your wort. Just boil it.

Sorry if I'm asking a silly question... I'm just trying to understand your goal here.

-walker

I think maybe for aeration, post cooling? An aquarium pump with an inline filter may be just as easy, and maybe cheaper

clayof2day said:
I think maybe for aeration, post cooling? An aquarium pump with an inline filter may be just as easy, and maybe cheaper

Not as cheap as just picking up the fermenter and shaking it!

Let's wait to see what tdiowa is actually trying to do here before we start guessing and making suggestions :)

Walker-san said:
Not as cheap as just picking up the fermenter and shaking it!

Let's wait to see what tdiowa is actually trying to do here before we start guessing and making suggestions :)

I understood it that he is probably doing a partial boil and is adding in the water to bring it up to ?gal. when the boil is done. Then is using the mixer to get it all whipped up.

My main goal is to keep the boiling wort ingredients mixing at all times. Once the ingredients are added I use the mixer to agitate the wort throughout the boil and to keep the wort thoughly mixed. I have never had a boil over or scorched extract on the bottom since using my homemade agitator.

Hope this helps.

TD

A freakin' aeration kit is a measly $30 from most online HBS's. Best $30 I ever spent. There's really no true substitute for actual aeration. It's been one of the best investments I've made since starting...my fermentations are much more vigorous and complete...

tdiowa said:
My main goal is to keep the boiling wort ingredients mixing at all times. Once the ingredients are added I use the mixer to agitate the wort throughout the boil and to keep the wort thoughly mixed. I have never had a boil over or scorched extract on the bottom since using my homemade agitator.

Hope this helps.

TD

Can't hurt, I spose, but not really necessary. A big spoon can serve the same purpose, unless you're armless or very very lazy. I never have scorched extract either...and I haint got no fanci-fied wort mixer! Just stir the crap and keep a vigorous boil...no worries. But, hey, whatever floats yer boat.

You can go to a Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a paint stirring attachement that hooks into your drill. Most are made of metal (easy to sanitize). That would be ideal, and well under $20.

Back