Floating thermometer broke in the wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I decided to take my first foray into partial mash brewing this weekend. Everything was going great...until my True Brew floating thermometer broke in the wort during the boil spilling the tiny metal balls into the brew pot!

I'll be able to strain them out and any glass that might be in there, but does anyone know if they are lead? If there is any danger of lead sickness, this batch is going down the drain.

Thanks.

OK, I should've done the thread search first. It looks like the there are steel balls and I should be OK if I strain the heck out of it. Guess I should do the forum search first...

Thanks.

No problem posting it. I'm glad you found an answer to your question. It's too late now, but you don't need to have a thermometer in the wort during the boil. It's only during the steep and after the cool-down that the temperature is important. You want to steep in the 150-160 degree range, and you want the wort to cool to about 70 or so when you pitch your yeast. The temperature doing the boil doesn't matter at all.

Back