Beer Crates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berwick12

Reaction score
I started to make some wooden beer crates about 2 months ago, about 12 of them, a couple of hours a week whatever spare time I had.

The first few are just about finished. In the next post, if I can figure out how to attach a photo I'll put some photos up. White pine stained, a couple are poly, a couple are laquer and haven't figure out what I'm going to do with the rest.

The hinges are made out of leather, a couple outside hinges a couple piano style. The reson why is because the screws for regular hinges would have split the wood, and or were too long.

Original plans were to hold 24 beer bottles, but by golly I also holds 6 growlers perfetly.

Let me know if you want the dimensions.

take out the spaces in the following [ i m g ] your link here [ / i m g]

use a site like flickr or photobucket and copy the link. you can also click the insert a picture and paste the link to the picture in the popup.

I would prefer that the exterior of the crates be constructed from solid wood vs. plywood. Exposed plywood edges detract considerably from the appearance, although appearance may not be important to all. Functionally, it wouldn't make much difference except the plywood might be stronger.

IMO, the side panels of the cases should be at least as tall as the bottles and it would also be cool to have lids. I admire his workmanship and attention to detail. I think there might be a market for these if someone could figure out a way to manufacture them cheaply in quantity. Maybe they could be sold as kits with everything pre-cut for DIY assembly.

So I've made a flickr page hopefully technology doesn't let me down. If it doesn't work let me know and I will copy and paste by hand.
Flickr: christopher.olah's Photostream

As you can tell the box with the growlers in it isn't finished just yet. The tops will go on hopefully this week.

To follow dimensions, and pics of the finished boxes with lids attached.

As for the other beer crates, those were pretty awesome. However, I don't have the machinery to dovetail or dato.

Cheers,

C O

Looks good- The only thing I would say, is make notched cardboard or plywood inserts to keep your growlers/bottles from clanking together (If you notch them, you can easily swap them between the two layouts, and stack flat for storage).

Back