Costco Kirkland Beer -- twist or pop top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
Anyone know for sure if the 24 pack of of Kirkland signature beer is a pop top? I've read mixed reviews on this site and others, but the price is right and I could use some empty pop top bottles :)

how did I miss that? I searched for kirkland beer before I posted this and saw a lot of threads but not that one..

It's just a label, not like little Costco workers are mashing in and then rolling up toilet paper while they stir the tomato sauce for the pasta. As I said, Gordon Biersch makes the beer.

I am wary of beer from a company that also makes toilet paper and tomato sauce.

+1, i feel weird already eating from the same company i wipe my ass with.

havent seen it around my costco. havent been looking though, but 19 bucks a 24 pack of crafted beer is a pretty good deal.

Just as strackbucks roast the beans for their Kirklands coffee. it says so right on the bag. I have been impressed with Kirkland products, but more than anything its not a bad way to get bottles. My friends are over this weekend, they will drink anything so i am not too worried :)

I buddy of mine bought this a while ago. I didn;t have any, but he said some of them were "not bad" while some were "not very good." either way, I use the bottles, labels come off easy and they are all blank and ready for my labels.

Like many here, I bought it just for the bottles and box. At $19 for 24 bottles, I thought of the beer as a free gift with purchase of bottles. It's not wonderful, but not bad either ... perfect for afternoon football with chips or pizza.

In Texas, though, the version we get is not made by Gordon Biersch, but by Matt Brewing Company in New York (I never lived on the East Coast, so I'm not familiar with this brewery). I assume the recipes are the same, but I'm not sure how their version compares to the West Coast version made by Gordon Biersch. It sounds like the consensus is the same for all - not too exciting, but decent enough.

Like many here, I bought it just for the bottles and box. At $19 for 24 bottles, I thought of the beer as a free gift with purchase of bottles. It's not wonderful, but not bad either ... perfect for afternoon football with chips or pizza.

In Texas, though, the version we get is not made by Gordon Biersch, but by Matt Brewing Company in New York (I never lived on the East Coast, so I'm not familiar with this brewery). I assume the recipes are the same, but I'm not sure how their version compares to the West Coast version made by Gordon Biersch. It sounds like the consensus is the same for all - not too exciting, but decent enough.

Matt Brewing Co. is great!!! They are the make of Saranac (my favorite). Anyone on the east coast should be familiar with this. I lived in Utica for sometime which is where the brewery is located.

Matt Brewing Co. is great!!! They are the make of Saranac (my favorite). Anyone on the east coast should be familiar with this. I lived in Utica for sometime which is where the brewery is located.
daveooph131 - do you know if they are available anywhere in (or near) Texas? I'm curious to try their "real" beers.

They are cheap, but they aren't terribly good beer. Also their labels are a pain in the ass to remove. Spend a little extra and get some good beer with easy to remove labels (Deschutes is my favorite).

daveooph131 - do you know if they are available anywhere in (or near) Texas? I'm curious to try their "real" beers.

No man it sucks. I live in Dallas and since moving back home (Dallas) from Utica, NY I have not been able to get it. I emailed them and they said they are working on distributing more nationally, but for the time we're out of luck.

Hopefully, there are some other people on here that can attest to how great Saranac is. Their Black Forest (Schwartzbier) is the best beer I have ever had to date, and I don't think I'm over selling this.

I have tried the the Kirkland beer. Bought one case. It wasn't bad. But that doesn't mean it was good either. I don't particularly like the bottle shape either.

For $4 more you can get a case of New Belgium or Sam Adams, both of which have nice bottles and the labels come off easy. The best part about that is the the beer is really good from both those two brews.

If you are looking for a cheap upgrade from Bud or Coors then Kirkland will definitely take you to that level. But if you already enjoy good beer just keep buying good stuff.

I buy Grolsh just for the bottle. Now that is a deal anywhere. Check out the price of an empty swing top compared to the price of a full bottle of Grolsh or Fishers... Now that is really where the free beer is.

That beer is terrible. Pounding a couple of pale ales in a row is tolerable, but if you drink a good beer right before one of them, it becomes abundantly clear how off the taste is.

Not worth it. Costco has 24 packs of good beer all the time, pick up a 24 pack of Jubelale if you see it.

I bought a case of these yesterday, have yet to try them, however while I was there I saw another case that I went back and forth on. It was Widmer Brothers Brewing variety pack. I've never tried these...any good?

I bought a case of these yesterday, have yet to try them, however while I was there I saw another case that I went back and forth on. It was Widmer Brothers Brewing variety pack. I've never tried these...any good?

If I like the brewery, I like to get the seasonal variety pack to see how their latest brews turned out.

Yes, the bottles are pop-tops, they come in plain, white six pack holders, and the labels practically fly off in an OxiClean soak. Homebrewer's dream. Oh, and the beer isn't too bad, either.

Yes, the bottles are pop-tops, they come in plain, white six pack holders, and the labels practically fly off in an OxiClean soak. Homebrewer's dream. Oh, and the beer isn't too bad, either.

Any tricks or an alternative for OxiClean for these bottles? I typically just soak my bottles in water overnight but these are barely peeling the outer layer off in just water.

Not sure of any other alternatives, goo gone maybe? I am using generic oxy clean and the labels peel off with ease.

Try a stainless steel pot scrubber. It can take off almost any label with ease (after soaking). And for some reason it does not scratch the glass.

FWIW I get my oxyclean at big lots.. "sun oxygen cleanser"

I just found the first bottle that didnt work so well with it, dos aquis... ah well.

I am wary of beer from a company that also makes toilet paper and tomato sauce.

It's just a label, not like little Costco workers are mashing in and then rolling up toilet paper while they stir the tomato sauce for the pasta. As I said, Gordon Biersch makes the beer.

LOL! Great answer. Touche'.

Back