Smashing Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrumbrews

Reaction score
Well, tomorrow is bottling day. I still haven't decided if I want to add more spices before bottling. I've never done this beer before and I'm wondering if the risk is worth the possible reward. I like spiced pumpkin ales with very pronounced flavors and I've heard this beer only has a slight pumpkin spice flavor. Maybe I'll do half and half.

I vote half and half - OR if it's just you drinking it, keep it as is, then while drinking it adjust with spices as you drink and figure it out for the next batch - every batch i've made (except one) I've always wanted to adjust and retry, even though they all tasted good, with some bordering on great, I still want to adjust the next time around.
So that's my noncommital response.

Honestly if it's lightly spiced per recipe, make it half and half, at least then you can cut it with another beer if it's over-spiced.
I made a winter lager last year and then reserved a gallon of it for a Christmas lager that was heavily spiced, and it turned out i liked the spiced Christmas lager better.

Sounds like a plan. I also happen to be using Cooper's Carbonation Drops for the first time, so splitting the batch should be a breeze. I'm looking at doing a winter lager as soon as I build my fermentation chamber so I'll most likely go with splitting that batch as well. At least then I don't have to worry about ruining all of it.

Back