Browser Based Boil Timer [v1.0]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscade

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good day everyone! I've played with a lot of brewing software, but there was one need I didn't find filled easily anywhere:

I wanted a simple, extensible, portable way to track my boil additions.

I'm a web programmer, so I chose the platform I'm most comfortable with. The program is extremely bare bones, and is only designed to do one thing. I always have my laptop or my iPhone with me while brewing, so a web interface makes sense for me. I formatted the time input the way we think about our recipes. If you set it up for a 60 minute boil, and set a hop addition for 5 minutes, it will count down to 55 minutes after the start of the boil. Here's a quick screenshot, and then I'll run down the features:

brewtimer.png

Features:
  • Tracks any number of boil additions
  • Shows proper elapsed time even if computer has gone to sleep and been re-activiated
  • Additon times, names, and quantity can be changed while the timer is running
  • Option to hide completed boil additions
  • Tested in IE 8, Firefox 3.5, Chrome, and Safari (each browser makes it look a little different)

Things I'd like to add:
  • Audio feedack at each addition time
  • Option for pop-up box at each addition time
  • Ability to remove unwanted or accidental rows
  • Specific layout better suited to iPhone

My goal is to keep this thing simple and purpose driven, but I am interested in your feedback and suggestions. To use, just point your browser at http://brewtimer.headfog.org! Cheers!

Update: This is now a github-hosted open source project! I encourage anyone interested in the project to fork the repository, make any changes you like, and contribute back your commits! The project can be browsed and cloned here: GitHub repo

:mug:

Looks great! I love the simplicity.

I agree with the things that you want to add. Here's my ideas...

-Have a check box to click once an addition is done and then it is somehow marked as done.
-Have an option to change additions so that they are in order, no matter what order they were added in the "additions" section. I listed additions out of order because that is how it was listed in a recipe, but I would have liked them to be listed in order in the timer section. Perhaps that is just how my brain is organized...

Eric

@EricCSU: I actually had sorting implemented at one point, but there were bugs when multiple additions shared the same addition time (say, finings & chiller both at 15 minutes). I agree completely that this is a needed feature.

@Plan9: This is on my short list already.

UPDATEs!

This is now a github-hosted open source project! I encourage anyone interested in the project to fork the repository, make any changes you like, and contribute back your commits! The project can be browsed and cloned here: GitHub repo

Cheers!

Back