Munich Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffo

Reaction score
Many of Jamil's recipes in the book call for Munich LME. Would Northern Brewer Amber be the one to use?

"Northern Brewer Amber is a mix of pale and Munich malt with Caramel 60 for a sweet malt flavor with caramel overtones."

Sorry to butt in on the thread. In place of the Munich extract, could I just increase the pale LME and steep some Munich malt for flavour?

When people refer to Munich Liquid malt exract they mean Alexander's Munich extract. If you haven't tried you need to. It has an incredible taste. There is no substitute. I have tried Weyermann's extract and by the time they arrive to the stores (and sit there for months and months) they are pretty much like molasses. The Alexander's Munich is like melted caramel and is the best tasting extract I have tasted. I use it over ice cream on occasion.

Breiss is about to release their own Munich extract. I haven't tried it but I am sure it will be good. L.D. Carlson will be distributing it and all homebrew store will be able to carry it.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew

Sorry to butt in on the thread. In place of the Munich extract, could I just increase the pale LME and steep some Munich malt for flavour?
You can steep munich, but you will get a lot of extra starches in your beer that will make it quite hazy. Munich can convert itself however so you would be better off doing a mini-mash which is essentially just steeping at a specific temperature with a specific amount of water.

Back