Wow, didn't expect to see that safety label on my new Perlick faucet boxes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember something about the amount of lead in a brass pipe fitting not being enough to be a problem if you ate the whole fitting at once. the reality is a tiny amount of lead will be leached from the inside surface. The acidity of beer will increase the leaching but it is still a miniscule amount. There are many other things to worry about in your water that will kill you far faster than a brass fitting.

True...unless you live in California...

Europe is also onboard with this no lead thing....we are working with a big name computer company right now and they use our pumps for cooling mainframes that process credit card transactions.....they are making a new system right now for Europe and the bronze housing in our pump is to have less the 5% lead to be acceptable...the next lowest alloy of bronze we can get from the standard 6-8% lead now drops it down to 0.5%.....anything in between would have been a custom mix and more money :rolleyes:
Machining this stuff is hard on the tooling...have to go slow to keep the heat down now....takes more time and price goes up....there's no easy way out of things. :(

This thread reminded me of a very interesting article I read recently:

America's Real Criminal Element: Lead

New research finds Pb is the hidden villain behind violent crime, lower IQs, and even the ADHD epidemic. And fixing the problem is a lot cheaper than doing nothing.

By Kevin Drum | January/February 2013 Issue

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

Back