Chocolate Hazelnut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenHops

Reaction score
I decided to brew up a Chocolate Hazelnut Porter using the recipe for "Brewing Classic Styles". I modified the recipe slightly based on grains and hops I had on hand. I also added some DME. I feared slightly lower conversion mashing BIAB. I also wanted higher OG rather than lower.

I also adjusted quantities for a 3 gallon batch. I'll rack this to a 3 gallon corny and let it age until Christmas.

My modified recipe was as follows:

Chocolate Hazelnut Porter (3 gal)

7.0 lbs Weyermann Pilsner
1.0 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Belgian Chocolate
0.25 lbs Carafa II
0.5 lbs DME light (added last 15 min of boil)
5 oz cocoa powder (added last 5 min of boil)

Hops (all leaf)
1.0 oz Sonnet Golding 4.1% 60 min
0.5 oz Tettnanger 5.3% 15 min
0.5 oz Sonnet Golding 4.1% 15 min
0.25 oz Tettnanger 5.3% 0 min
0.25 oz Sonnet Golding 4.1% 0 min

Mashed BIAB 60 min 156-150 F
WLP001 (1.2 liter starter)
OG: 1:081

Add Hazelnut extract to taste at kegging.

Normally I mash in a beverage cooler. This is the third time I've tried BIAB; each time for a 3 gallon batch. Making 3 gallon BIAB batches is soooo easy. This time the cocoa powder was a bit of a mess. I shouldn't have used hop bags. I'm sure they picked up some cocoa flavor. I may have to toss them (I use reusable nylon bags). Apart from that the brew went very smoothly.

I used Bru'n Water for the first time to adjust my water. I fill 5 gallon jugs with RO water from dispensers at a local store ($1.25 per 5 gal). It's neutral pH and very low in mineral content. I used spring water until recently. When spring water jumped to $7 per 5 gal I switched to RO. I had been swagging mineral additions. This time I built up the profile according to the Bru'n Water SS. I'll be doing that going forward.

This was also the first time I build up a starter from a slant. I started making slants of yeast last winter. I finally got around to propagating a starter from a slant. It's easier to buy yeast. But it's not convenient for me. I stocked up on yeast when I get to the LHBS. If I don't brew often it gets outdated. I was building up starters from expired yeast. I decided I may as well just build up from slants.

Here's how the Chocolate Hazelnut Porter looks on day two:

chochzlporter2.jpg

For color comparison, here's a RIS I made several weeks ago:

stout1.jpg

Both should be ready for the holidays.

Beer looks awesome in the carboy. What a krausen!

I'm brewing up a 2.5 gallon batch of the same beer here in a couple of weeks.

Beer looks awesome in the carboy. What a krausen!

I normally ferment in buckets. Much easier to handle and clean. I went back to glass to watch fermentation in beers I hadn't made before. I'd forgotten how fun it is to watch wort transition into beer.

I have a love/hate relationship when it comes to glass. Love to see it. Hate to handle it. Below is what I use to tote around the larger glass carboys. I dropped this carboy when I was cleaning it last time. Fortunately I was on grass and the ground was also mushy from rain.

carboycarrier.jpg

I'm considering this recipe or a vanilla porter for a fall brew session. Let us know how it turns out!

I'm considering this recipe or a vanilla porter for a fall brew session. Let us know how it turns out!

Will do! This is the first time I've use anything apart from traditional ingredients. Vanilla porter sounds good, too. :mug:

I don't know why but the Chocolate Hazelnut Porter recipe caught my eye. I'm a little apprehensive. Thus only 3 gallons.

I'll be curious to see how the Chocolate Porter attenuates. I don't know how much, if any, cocoa powder will affect gravity.

I normally ferment in buckets. Much easier to handle and clean. I went back to glass to watch fermentation in beers I hadn't made before. I'd forgotten how fun it is to watch wort transition into beer.

I have a love/hate relationship when it comes to glass. Love to see it. Hate to handle it. Below is what I use to tote around the larger glass carboys. I dropped this carboy when I was cleaning it last time. Fortunately I was on grass and the ground was also mushy from rain.

carboycarrier.jpg

Glass scares me as well to the point that I've never used it. It's been only buckets for me. However, a recent infection in one of my 3 gallon frosting buckets from the grocery store has prompted me to order a 3 gallon better bottle for smaller batches.

I've brewed 21 batches, but have yet to witness the magic of fermentation visually. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it!

Back