Power / amperage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancon12

Reaction score
I picked up a used Ritchie BruHeat bucket this weekend :rockin:, and it's fitted with a type G plug rated 220v/15A. Will I be endangering my loved ones if I just snip that thing off, rewire a standard USA dryer plug in it and plug it into my dryer receptacle (220v/30A)?

I don't want to start any fires by running over by 15A, but I have very little understanding of how it all works.

As long as the re-wiring is done correctly, and the Bruheat bucket doesn't draw more than 30 Amps at 220V, and your dryer receptacle is truly wired to a 220VAC/30 Amp breaker then you will be fine. The fact that it has a 220V 15A plug on it is encouraging, but I would check for a placard or in the manual to find out how much current it draws, since it is used, the plug could've been replaced before. But, you can always plug something that draws less current into a higher rated outlet...think about it like plugging a cell phone charger into the same receptacle as your microwave oven.

Back