No Chill vs Chill in the Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One potential problem witht this is that above 140 degrees wort produces sulfur compounds. They get boiled off during the boil, but when you are bringing the temp down the longer it takes to get under 140 the more of these you are going to have. Also you wont get your cold break if you just let the temp drift down

I have not had a problem with sulfur nor with a lack of break. If you see the wort in a clear fermentor in the morning you can see the cold break.

To further counter you claim of no cold break most pro breweries will whirlpool and then send the wort through a heat exchanger. There is plenty of break and hops sludge in the whirlpool, I've cleaned one a few times, so cold break forms regardless of a huge temp shock. I suspect the biggest reason pro breweries don't no-chill is because of time. If it takes us 18-24 hours to get our 5-10 gal batches to chill to a pitching temp it'd take them 3-5 days minimum.

I can echo Smokingholes statements and reaffirm that the 'bogeymen' mentioned above aren't real assuming you aren't doing anything profoundly stupid.

FYI - I was doing no chill all last winter and early spring by letting the wort cool to about 185 and then draining into one of the US Plastic's 5 gal Win Pack and pitching the next day. Brewing with this method I took one 3rd place ribbon for a special bitter at the Charleston SC homebrew comp, and a 3rd for a ESB and a 3rd for a wheat beer at the Charlotte NC US Open homebrew comp. So if anyone tells you good beer can't be made this way they are on crack.
After saying that, I've since started chilling again since I don't think I was getting as much flavor and aroma from the hops as I'd like even using the hop schedule adjustments discussed in the no chill thread. I've been doing some IPA's lately that require a lot of late addition hops, and I don't think no chill is very good for these styles of beer. You can compensate to some extent by dry hopping or making a hop tea and adding it post fermentation, but so far I think the hops come thru better when chilling. For stouts, porters or other beers with one or no late hop additions I think no chill is great.

FYI - I was doing no chill all last winter and early spring by letting the wort cool to about 185 and then draining into one of the US Plastic's 5 gal Win Pack and pitching the next day. Brewing with this method I took one 3rd place ribbon for a special bitter at the Charleston SC homebrew comp, and a 3rd for a ESB and a 3rd for a wheat beer at the Charlotte NC US Open homebrew comp. So if anyone tells you good beer can't be made this way they are on crack.
After saying that, I've since started chilling again since I don't think I was getting as much flavor and aroma from the hops as I'd like even using the hop schedule adjustments discussed in the no chill thread. I've been doing some IPA's lately that require a lot of late addition hops, and I don't think no chill is very good for these styles of beer. You can compensate to some extent by dry hopping or making a hop tea and adding it post fermentation, but so far I think the hops come thru better when chilling. For stouts, porters or other beers with one or no late hop additions I think no chill is great.

Awesome. Glad to hear you won with No Chill beers. I agree with you on the thing about the hop aroma. I've experimented with hop teas and extra dry hopping, but haven't found the perfect replacement for those 15 to 1 minute hop additions in a chilled batch.

I've done 3 lager beers now, all of which are not chill, two if which had Pils as the base malt, and NONE of them have any DMS, sulphur or diactyl in the final product. Lagers, with their typically low aroma hopping, are a perfect style for the No Chill technique.

As a side note, I no longer believe No Chill flameout additions contribute the bitterness of 15-20min additions. My own experiments indicate that they contribute ZERO bitterness, believe it or not. Flavor wise, I believe these late additions contribute like dry hopping done in primary, before fermentation is done. Meaning that most of their aroma gets blown out by the CO2 leaving the vessel. YMMV.

As a side note, I no longer believe No Chill flameout additions contribute the bitterness of 15-20min additions.

I have an idea that I want to test with "No Chill".

Most of my beer recipes have a 60 minute hop addition, followed by another at the end of the boil. I've done a "No Chill" german pilsner. The beer was overly bitter due to the 200F+ wort in the cube continuing to convert the hops into IBUs. I had thrown an ounce of hops in the cube and racked the hot wort on top of them for my 10 minute addition.

My theory is that if I only use 60 minutes hops in the boil kettle, there will not be a significant increase in bitterness from the 60 minute hops while the beer cools down to ambient temp. After boiling for 60 minutes, you've already extracted over 90% of the hop's maximum bitterness

For those recipes that need a 10 min, 5 min, or 1 min hop addition, I have a new plan. I won't do the late minute additions on brew day. Instead, I'll do them on the day I move the wort from the cube to the carboy.

When I rack from the cube to the carboy, I will divert 32oz of wort into an electric teapot. The rest will go into the carboy.

I'll bring the 32 oz of wort up to a boil again. I'll add my late addition hop to the teapot and boil for the 10, 5, or 1 minute. When the time is up, I'll pour the contents of the teapot into the carboy through a funnel lined with nylon mesh.

The 32oz of boiling wort should bring the temperature of wort in the carboy up by 7 degrees. So I can either start with 60 degree wort or wait for the temperature to come back down to where I feel comfortable pitching my yeast.

I have never chilled, I take the brew pot straight (with lid on) to the ferment chamber, at a minimum leave it overnight, and have gone as long as several days before pouring into the bucket. I have never had any off flavors, infections or booogey men in my beers. But I too add 1/2 gal extra wort to compensate for the gunk in the bottom of the pot. The chamber stays set at 62 degrees, dont mess with what works and allows laziness : )

Most of my beer recipes have a 60 minute hop addition, followed by another at the end of the boil. I've done a "No Chill" german pilsner. The beer was overly bitter due to the 200F+ wort in the cube continuing to convert the hops into IBUs. I had thrown an ounce of hops in the cube and racked the hot wort on top of them for my 10 minute addition.

My theory is that if I only use 60 minutes hops in the boil kettle, there will not be a significant increase in bitterness from the 60 minute hops while the beer cools down to ambient temp. After boiling for 60 minutes, you've already extracted over 90% of the hop's maximum bitterness

For those recipes that need a 10 min, 5 min, or 1 min hop addition, I have a new plan. I won't do the late minute additions on brew day. Instead, I'll do them on the day I move the wort from the cube to the carboy.

When I rack from the cube to the carboy, I will divert 32oz of wort into an electric teapot. The rest will go into the carboy.

I'll bring the 32 oz of wort up to a boil again. I'll add my late addition hop to the teapot and boil for the 10, 5, or 1 minute. When the time is up, I'll pour the contents of the teapot into the carboy through a funnel lined with nylon mesh.

The 32oz of boiling wort should bring the temperature of wort in the carboy up by 7 degrees. So I can either start with 60 degree wort or wait for the temperature to come back down to where I feel comfortable pitching my yeast.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55801

I have done this a few times, and to be fair, I'm not quite sure how well it works. It seems like by boiling these finishing hops in a miniscule amount of wort, the utilization gets weird, and you don't seem to get much of anything from them.

I HAVE A THEORY - BEAR WITH ME.....

In "normal" brewing, we talk about a "5 minute addition" (for example). Meaning that we throw some hops in "for 5 minutes" before the wort is chilled. HOWEVER, there is not a glycol-cooled plate chiller in the world that can bring down that wort from 212F to 60 within a minute or two, so really that "5 minute addition" is boiled for 5, but steeped in hot wort for 20-30 minutes or so until its basically room temp and any meaningful extraction of flavor stops.

In fact, if you read up on a lot of semi-pro brewers like Mike McDole, there is a large numbers of brewers who turn off their kettles, then just sit and wait for up to 20 minutes before turning on their chillers. (McDole was the guy who won the Sam Adams Longshot for a Double IPA, so he knows a thing or two about hoppy beers.)

So in this experiment, when you cook for the hops for 15/10/5/whatever, and then immediately throw that into the cool wort, it drops the temp of the boiling hops instantly. As such, I believe that this makes for an ineffective way of adding hop flavor.

I have made a couple beers using up to maybe 1.5oz on average in each in the exact manner that you are describing, and the hop flavor was very, very weak.

So I suggest that if you want to try this, that you (a) use a little more hops than you normally would (maybe 20% more), (b) boil the hops in at least a half gallon of wort (full gallon would be better), and (c) let the boiled wort/hops steep by themselves for 15min AFTER you kill the heat before you pour them back into the main wort.

Please post back your results, and good luck! I'd LOVE to finally nail down hoppy beers done with the No Chill style, because so far my own efforts have been a little underwhelming. No bad or flawed, just weak in the hop flavor department.

Seems those Aussies are always a step ahead when it comes to any of the non-traditional brewing methods.

Back