Fermentation temperature first ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobtruck

Reaction score
Just cooked up my first try at beer making yesterday. I am making an American Ale in the nature of a Pale Ale. I used White Labs liquid English Ale yeast. The directions said to keep temperature at 70 until fermentation begins. All I can manage is 66, is there going to be a problem with this temp? What is the best temperature for fermentation of Ales of this type?

With that yeast, you want to be around 65 to 68 degrees so you are looking good. I never worry about being a little on the low side (60 to 66 degrees) with ale yeasts. It is being too high that will cause most of your problems and off flavors.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out! :mug:

Thanks Marko, I was happy to see the happy bubbles of fermentation this morning. Temp holding at 67-68. Should I allow the temp to fall closer to 60 now that it's working? Don't want any off taste due to higher than necessary temps.

I think you will be fine. A lot of Belgian yeasts ferment in the mid 70s, but most ale yeasts do great right where you have it. I wouldn't worry unless you start to push the low 70s.

I'm working on my third batch of coopers and after reading this thread I don't feel so great about things are going to turn out.

It got pretty cold right after I pitched the yeast and the room temperature dropped to 57 to 58 degrees. It's been 5 days since I've pitched the yeast. The temperature in the room is now about 63 degrees, it just started warming up yesterday. I do see the odd bubble coming from the fermenter but when I look inside I see little 'chunks' of yeast floating on top of foam.

Is this batch gonna turn out bad?? It's a Coopers Dark Ale.

I'm working on my third batch of coopers and after reading this thread I don't feel so great about things are going to turn out.

It got pretty cold right after I pitched the yeast and the room temperature dropped to 57 to 58 degrees. It's been 5 days since I've pitched the yeast. The temperature in the room is now about 63 degrees, it just started warming up yesterday. I do see the odd bubble coming from the fermenter but when I look inside I see little 'chunks' of yeast floating on top of foam.

Is this batch gonna turn out bad?? It's a Coopers Dark Ale.

You should be okay. Just give it more time to ferment. It might turn out to be more to your liking. What is the current gravity reading?

Could you move the beer to some place that might consistently be a little warmer, yet still a bit on the cool side? I found that if I leave my beer in my closet, during the winter it (the beer) stays right in the upper 60's.

Remember, once fermentation starts going, the beer will generate some heat, so a little on the cooler side isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't done a gravity reading yet, I'll try one tomorrow.

I placed a small heater in the room it seems to be helping.

Frankly I'm relieved you said it might turn out alright :)

First Batch of American Ale is finished and pretty good. Color is a nice Carmel with just the right bitterness and very clear. I would add a little more finishing hops if I were to do the same again. Thanks to everyone who helped with advice. Just bottled my second batch a very nice Simco IPA.

Back