I Want To Get Knocked Off My Seat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I've become very interested in beer about a year ago, trying as many different kinds and brands as I could and eventually leading to my home brewing and now hops growing.

So, I found this place in Boston that has 112 beers on tap and like 300 some odd bottles. I figure this is the place for me to go to find the beer that will knock my, well, off my seat.

I like IPAs and IIPAs probably the most, I seem to hate most wheat beers (although I like Blue Moon and some fake Americanized Heffes) and I don't like Guiness like flavor, so I guess probably no stouts.

So do you guys have any suggestions for beer for me to sample at this place? I'll save the names and see if they have them, I'd appreciate it!

Russian River Pliny the Elder

Dunno if they'll have it, as I'm not sure if it's distributed to Boston.
Basically, I know a bunch of West coast beers that meet your criteria, that you are unlikely to be able to get your hands on. I'm sure there are some excellent IPAs and IIPAs made over yonder that I haven't tried because they don't distribute here...

Also, I cannot stand Guinness but I love stouts. I suspect you just have to try better stouts. Again, I'm a bit stuck as I only know a few stouts that aren't stuck on the West coast.

Can you get Alesmith there? Alesmith's Speedway Stout is a good one. Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast is also very tasty.

I'll have to remember that name. The place might have it though, as they're not all local brewed beers. Even as much of a drinking city as Boston is, I don't think we have 500 different types of beer here! I heard them talking on a radio program about how they have stuff from Baltimore, so I would assume they would have a fairly decent national selection. It seems to be specifically focused on microbreweries.

The Ipswich Ales! (local beer for you). I'm from California and I tasted three of the Ipswich ales last October when I was in your neck of the woods last fall. I loved those Ipswich ales.

It would be easier if you told us what they have, they probably have a list online.

In either case, Dogfish Head 90 minute is the archetype East Coast IPA. Well distributed west coast IPA type stuff you might be able to get:

Bear Republic: Racer 5, Red Rocket, Hop Rod Rye, Racer 10 (seasonal), Mach X (seasonal)
Lagunitus: IPA, Maximus, Imperial Red, WTF (brown IPA), Hop Stoopid, almost anything else
Stone: IPA, Arrogant Bastard, Ruination, Sublimely Self Righteous (black IPA)
Green Flash: West Coast IPA, Hop Head Red

For hoppy beers I recommend sticking to draught unless you have an idea of the packaging date and storage conditions for a bottle. Maybe ask what they have gotten in recently.

There are some hoppy stouts which you might find interesting. Rogue Shakespeare and Sierra Nevada Stout come to mind.

What's the bar? My sister just moved to Boston and she would be very interested in such an establishment. I also can't wait to visit her.

Beerbeque, I'll definitely have to try those, I bet they would be available.

Remilard, I'll try to find a list of them. I've had Dogfish 90 min before and I loved it. The others, I haven't so I'll look into them all.

And danculwell, it's called Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston. :mug:

Good call on the Bear Republic stuff. I forgot they distribute out East.

OK I did a little google search and I suspect the place you're talking about is Sunset Grill & Tap.

Looks like they do have the Bear Republic stuff. Also they have Beer Geek Breakfast...I'd try one of those and then decide if you still hate stouts.

Also on that list:

Green Flash IPA is decent...not my favorite but a good beer. I prefer Bear Republic Racer 5 personally, but they are both excellent.

Avery Maharaja is a heavy hitter. It will definitely knock you down with hops.
Port 4th Annivesary is pretty good. Not my favorite IPA by them, but I do like it quite a bit. If they get that, they might also get Mongo on occasion...try that one.

Bosox - you should also check out the Publick House in Brookline. Sunset is a cool place and all, but I've never found them to be very knowledgeable about what they're serving. If you're looking to learn about what you're drinking from some hardcore beer geeks, check out publicks.

My .02.

Caldera IPA. Brewed in Oregon. You'd NEVER know it was poured out of a can. Good stuff!!!

T

Hmm I've had a Publick House series beer, the LARRY IIPA. It's my favorite beer to date! I'll have to check that place out too! Oh how great it is to have tuerned 21 last month :ban:

Sunset usually has Stone Ruination on tap. I recommend it. Anything Green Flash make is generally tasty.

If you want to make the trip to Cambridge, Cambridge Common on Mass. Ave has a great selection of brews and a lot of rotating taps. Pretty Things, Delerium Tremens, Stone, Allagash, Smuttynose. Check it out! (and get the southern fried chicken!)

If you want to try a sour ale, Monk's Cafe is pretty good.

I do not reccomend Lauging Dog's "Devil Dog" unless you like your IIPAs uber sweet.

Petrus Aged Pale kills Monk's any day of the week. And Rodenbach is very vinegary, but still a classic.

Goose Island's IPA when I had it in November was nice. Green Flash West Coast is probably the best WC IPA on that list right along with Racer 5.

Jolly Pumpkin Luciernega is great.

There's so much from the Midwest and the West that are not represented. It is amazing how much more global the world is, you just can't get the best of the best in other places.

If you really want to get knocked off your seat by a hoppy beer, look for Moylan's Hopsickle.

Another great stout to try is Old Rasputin from North Coast. It's another west coast beer but we get distribution here in FL so I would guess you can get it there as well.

Bells Two-hearted and Hopslam are great beers.
I've also very much liked Goose Island IPA.
Try a Belgian Trippel, or a Saison like DuPont. They have a funkiness that some people adore.

You say you don't like Guinness, but realize that Guinness is only one style of stout, an Irish Dry Stout. The stouts can vary in taste a lot. I highly recommend you check out an imperial stout, or bourbon stout before writing them all off. Old Rasputin is one.

If you can get Founders out there, they have a few beers that are phenomenal. Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Double Trouble IIPA, etc. Just a wonderful set of beers.

I teared up a little thinking about Sunset Grill and Tap. I went there recently on vacation and have to say that it is the best bar that I have ever been to. Please do yourself a favor and get the sour cream and chive fries!

Definitely check out the Dogfish 90 if you haven't had it. Also, you can get flights of beer for like 10-12 bucks, and you can sample 4 different ones. Take advantage of this.

You will also need to get a Raspberry Cow float. Lindeman's Framboise and malted vanilla ice cream. Just do it.

Also check out the Goose Island Bourbon county Imperial Stout. It will change your opinion of stouts (maybe)

Sunset is great, get the nachos, they're huge! The chimichanga rocks too. As far as beer goes, I like it there but it seems a little pricey. American Craft is nearby and great (for beer), Publick House rocks (but gets cramped quickly), Deep Ellum is great... my fav place tho is in Cambridge, Lord Hobo. They usually have a ton of west coast stuff on tap... good stuff on Nitro, a cask... always at least 3 beers I'm really interested in. They have around 30 taps.

Oh, nobody has Pliny, ever. And if you see any Duck Rabbit, get it!!! Though, again, have never seen it around here.

Oh man, now that I see Sunset mentioned I'm having withdrawals :(. I make it a point to hit that place every time I'm in Boston. Great food and tons of beer.

I'll have to check out some of the other places mentioned now too, though...mmm beer.

I found the Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary to be an amazingly complex brew, well worth tasting.

Back