Kegging Questions Galore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpbraman

Reaction score
So I bought a kegging system but I don't have a refridgerator to store it in.

I have used the keg once and had real trouble getting the beer to carbonate. I turned the pressure up to 15 psi on a light ale and it still wouldn't take the carbonation right.

Is there any way to carbonate the beer without keeping it cold? Winter is here and I can store it outside at about 45 degrees, which should allow me to get it pretty cold for the short term.

I've thought about carbonating it like a big beer bottle, but have heard that I need to modify the length of the tube in the keg. I've also heard I don't have to worry about that if I just blow off the first glass or two from the keg to dump the yeast after it has been conditioned.

Any advice? I've got a new beer in the carboy and am unsure if I want to try the keg again or just bottle it in glass.

mpbraman said:

I have used the keg once and had real trouble getting the beer to carbonate. I turned the pressure up to 15 psi on a light ale and it still wouldn't take the carbonation right.

Is there any way to carbonate the beer without keeping it cold? Winter is here and I can store it outside at about 45 degrees, which should allow me to get it pretty cold for the short term.

I've thought about carbonating it like a big beer bottle, but have heard that I need to modify the length of the tube in the keg. I've also heard I don't have to worry about that if I just blow off the first glass or two from the keg to dump the yeast after it has been conditioned.

Any advice? I've got a new beer in the carboy and am unsure if I want to try the keg again or just bottle it in glass.
There are lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of posts here that answer all the questions you've asked. Please avail yourself of them and all will be answered.

Do a thread search under my name. I asked the same questions a month or so ago and got some really good responses. Bottom line, GET a kegerator or make one. You may be able to pull it off in the dead of winter, but spring will be approaching fast. Beer doesn't carbonate very well above 50 degrees of so.

mpbraman said:

How are you keeping your beer cold?

mpbraman said:

What do you mean by "it won't take the carbonation right?" Are you not getting enough head on it? There is no reason why at 15 psi, you shouldn't have decent carbonation.

Seems to me you put the cart before the horse. If you could only buy one thing at a time, you should have started with the fridge.

rdwj said:
How are you keeping your beer cold?

What do you mean by "it won't take the carbonation right?" Are you not getting enough head on it? There is no reason why at 15 psi, you shouldn't have decent carbonation.

Seems to me you put the cart before the horse. If you could only buy one thing at a time, you should have started with the fridge.
If the OP is leaving the kegs at room temp and only pushing 15 psi, then there will be pretty piss-poor carbonation. It needs to be colder than that at 15 psi to get halfway decent carbonation.

bikebryan said:
If the OP is leaving the kegs at room temp and only pushing 15 psi, then there will be pretty piss-poor carbonation. It needs to be colder than that at 15 psi to get halfway decent carbonation.

ya, I was thinking he was keeping them cold somehow

This balancing page has a table for temp / volume. That should help

I appreciate the chart showing the temp/pressure requirements.

It looks like I'll need a fridge.

Back