What would you classify this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmetal

Reaction score
I'm thinking of this as an English IPA, even though I tried to go for an English Traditional Bitter

6.6lbs Briess Golden Light LME
0.5lbs crystal 40L
0.5lbs crystal 60L

Hops:
1oz Magnum 60min
.75oz Northern Brewer 40min
.75oz Northern Brewer 20min
.5oz Northern Brewer 0min

Yeast:
Nottingham

Fermenting at 64F

what type of beer do you think this is?
OG was 1.053

Also I was going to use EKG instead of Northern Brewer but my LHBS didn't have any. Yeast was supposed to be Whitbread but again, no go. Either way, it's fermenting very well even after 8 days in the primary, I can't wait to try this one

I tried to go for a low carbonation very typical English Bitter. I think I failed miserably but hey, it's gonna be good either way, I just think I missed the target

thanks

Being that I boiled 1.5 gallons (slight messup in my brewday) BeerSmith tells me this should be just about 30IBU.

So from ordinary bitter I jumped into the ESB category it seems like. not too bad. should I dry hop this one?

ESB sounds right (but I'm not a style-ista) - I think you would need to dry-hop to get into the IPA category. Me, I luvs ESBs so I'd leave it!

Yeah, you're not into the IPA range. I even go higher for a standard ESB.

The recipe looks good.

I'm confused by your statement about carbonation. If it is still in the primary then nothing about carbonation has been decided at all.

That only occurs at kegging or bottling. But you're right a low carb is definitely called for here.

by low carbonation I just meant the style like low carbonated not too hoppy lighter colored ale. but ended up with an ESB because I'm an idiot

but hey, I'm gonna love it, I know it. I pitched the yeast 7 days ago and kept the temperature at 62 since (it's nottingham yeast so it's ok) and even right now I hear the bubbling every 1.5-2 seconds. it looks and smells great

Depending on the FG you might be surprised at how that 30 IBUs just melts into the residual sweetness of the crystal malts.

And yes, you're right, you're gonna love it.

Can't hurt. I think it'll blend nicely with the Northern Brewer. NB has a minty herbal flavor/aroma, and the soft herbal notes of the EKG will make a nicely complex hops profile.

Bob

Back