Need some help with Boulevard Brewery The Sixth Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGuyRyan

Reaction score
This beer has become one of my favorites but unfortunately its not available in the Chicago land area. Some every time I visit family is Iowa or St. Louis I clean out the local stores. I would love to be able to brew something like this at home but have no idea on how to create a recipe. Has anyone else made this brew or can anyone help me figure out a recipe? The brewery web site lists the following:

2 row pale
Light caramel
Special B
Wheat malt
golden + dark brown sugar
and styrian hops

IBU 25
Plato 21
Final Plato 3.6

They also say that for each 35 barrel batch they use 2300lb grain and 350lb of l/brown sugar

Any help would be appreciated.

I haven’t had the beer, but I can make some educated guesses.

That works out to 11 lbs of grain and 1.66 lbs of brown sugar per 5 gallons (you will have to adjust the amount of grain depending on your efficiency).

Malt (something like):
84% American pale 2 row
10% Light wheat malt
3% Cara/Crystal 10/20
3% Special B
Mash ~150 for 60 minutes.
Add the sugar to the boil
OG = 1.084

I would just add one bittering addition of styrian goldings to hit 25 IBUs

Belgian Yeast of your choice (I like 3787)
FG = 1.014

Hopefully that will get you close, after you brew it once you can tweak it to get closer to the original

Well I went for it but my OG was a little low but still the highest I hit going AG so far.

9.5 lb 2-row
.75 wheat
.25 flaked wheat
1/4lb special B
1/4lb 10L
1/4lb 20L
.50 lb rice hulls

Hops
1.75 oz Styrian Golding 4.3% for 60
.25oz Styrian Golding 4.3% for last 10 with Irish moss

Sugar
.75 lb brown sugar
.75 lb L/brown sugar at last 10 min

OG 1.073

Yeast
Wyeast Belgian Abbey

It smelled great and tasted great but its a little low on the gravity since my local shop only had one yeast pack that I pitched yesterday night. I may end up mixing in some DME with another pack of yeast tonight.

When I enter this into Brew Pal my IBU’s are close at 26 and the projected OG is at 1.075 and I am at 1.073 so it looks like my efficiency is good for the grain bill but next time the grain bill needs to be raised.

Old thread, but how did this come out for you? Anybody else made an attempt at this?

It wasn’t perfect but a close start. It definitely needed to condition way longer that I did. At first I hated it! And actually gave most of it away. Then I cracked open one of the last ones I had saved that was about a year old and wow I really liked it! One thing I would do is change the yeast and pitch way more the yeast I used came off too spicy for me. Hop bitterness and aroma was pretty damn close though maybe a tad high may want to drop it down 3-4 IBU's.

This beer has become one of my favorites but unfortunately its not available in the Chicago land area. Some every time I visit family is Iowa or St. Louis I clean out the local stores. I would love to be able to brew something like this at home but have no idea on how to create a recipe. Has anyone else made this brew or can anyone help me figure out a recipe? The brewery web site lists the following:

2 row pale
Light caramel
Special B
Wheat malt
golden + dark brown sugar
and styrian hops

IBU 25
Plato 21
Final Plato 3.6

They also say that for each 35 barrel batch they use 2300lb grain and 350lb of l/brown sugar

Any help would be appreciated.

Color (EBC) 73.2
Bitterness (IBUs) 22
Original Gravity (Plato) 21.5
Terminal Gravity (Plato) 2.6
Alcohol (ABV) 10.5%
CO2 - Bottles 4.0 vol. (8.0 g/L)
CO2 - Kegs N/A

This is what Boulevard's website list. The FG is a bit lower than what you've posted. I'd guess that a yeast starter might be the reason. Also, a longer amount of time in the primary and in the secondary. Maybe more brown sugar?

These are their ingredients.

Brown sugar
Cara 300
Dark Candi syrup
Dark sugar
Dextrose
Malted wheat
Munich
Pale malt

A bit different than what you have, obviously. Might be why yours didn't come out exactly how you wanted.

And the HOPS:

Perle
Tradition

Hope this can help anyone looking to make the recipe. I might make a version of it but I generally don't make clones.

Back