Good cream ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
My friend is getting married and I'm look for a good cream ale recipe to make for his bachelor party. This will be my third brew and have only done extract brewing so not to experienced yet and it has to be done by July 7th. There not really beer drinkers so I was looking for something lighter and drinkable that is why I choose the cream ale what do you guys think? I search the forum and only found all grain recipes.

My friend is getting married and I'm look for a good cream ale recipe to make for his bachelor party. This will be my third brew and have only done extract brewing so not to experienced yet and it has to be done by July 7th. There not really beer drinkers so I was looking for something lighter and drinkable that is why I choose the cream ale what do you guys think? I search the forum and only found all grain recipes.

You can always do a partial mash or extract conversion of it.

Yes I know it's a short amount of time but I had my last IPA good enough to drink in like a month.

A month is pushing it unless you brew like today! 14 days in primary fermentation is a minimum for a cream ale and then 14 days in bottles @ 72F to get carbonation building. Can you do a partial mash?

I just bottled my "test run" of my first cream ale using BM's "Cream of Three Crops" AG recipe as a basis....this is 24 hours after bottling...this color won't scare the bud light drinkers! I am making 11 gallons of this for my brother's wedding which is in August.

Creamof3Cropsv1.jpg

Yeah I can attempt it. I never done it before but not scared to try it out. Where can I find that recipe

Yeah I can attempt it. I never done it before but not scared to try it out. Where can I find that recipe

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

You could actually do a 5 gallon batch of this with a simple "BIAB" all grain mash on your stovetop if you have a 5+ gallon brew pot. I have done this plenty of times with up to 8 lbs of grain so it can be done.

here's some info on how to do an all grain "BIAB" brew:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Brew_in_a_Bag

i've got a basic cream ale that the wife loves and i love, too. my bud-light drinking friend commented, 'dude, is this a homebrew?'

for a six-gallon batch (use your 6.5 gallon bucket w a blowoff):
2.5 lbs 6-row
1.1 lbs carapils
1.1 lbs flaked maize
1.5 lbs pilsen extract (pre-boil)
3 lbs pilsen extract (post-boil)
0.5 ounce northern brewer (60 mins) 0.5 ounce northern brewer (10 mins) wyeast 1056

my mash method using a 4 gallon pot and a 2 gallon pot: mash 6-row, carapils, flaked maize in 5.2 quarts water for 60 minutes @ 152, batch sparge in brewpot with 2 gallons water @ 170, combine worts, add 1.5 lbs of extract, begin boil

if you don't underpitch your yeast, you can go from stovetop to bottle pop in four weeks

That's perfect. I'm going to use this recipe but just need clarification on the steps. What is the pre and post grains. I saw the easy partial mash video that's on here and have a basic understanding of what need to be done

That's perfect. I'm going to use this recipe but just need clarification on the steps. What is the pre and post grains. I saw the easy partial mash video that's on here and have a basic understanding of what need to be done
are you referring to the extract additions? i like to add as much extract as possible after the boil. it keeps the color lighter and seems to help flavor. in the cream ale, i add 1.5 pounds at the 'normal' time (ie, after i've combined the sparge wort and the first wort and am bringing it to a boil, like in deathbrewer's partial mash tutorial). then i put in the rest of the extract (3 more pounds) at flame out.

if you haven't done a partial mash before, make sure to calculate your strike temperature. and if you are using a smaller pot (like a 2 gallon), add about 5 degrees to the strike temperature. if you're using the amount of water in the recipe, you should be shooting for around 170 degrees, which your grains will cool down to about 152. also, stir stir stir. when you put in the grains stir for at least two minutes. i'm assuming you'll be using one of those standard large muslin bags

what size pots do you have?

Yes that's what I meant the extracts. Do add the second half after the boil I got it. I have a five gallon pot and a 2 gallon

Yes that's what I meant the extracts. Do add the second half after the boil I got it. I have a five gallon pot and a 2 gallon
plan on 170 for your strike temperature if you're mashing in the 2-gallon pot. if you have a 5 gallon brewpot, you could up the sparge to three gallons. that plus your wort from the partial mash will fill it up just about right and minimize the amount of top-off water in the fermenter

Alright I'm going to keep you updates on how it turns out. I'm going to get all ingredients needed tomorrow and brew on Saturday. I'll let you know how it all went.

Latest posts

Back