how long do you keep bottled beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frijole

Reaction score
If you bottle your beer. Do you keep any long term? Or do you have to use it relatively fast to get good taste?

Yes most beers improve with age...Even a few weeks longer than the 3 weeks recommended to carb and condition will show improvement.

Some take a year or more before they are even drinkable...Some beers are even meant to be cellared.

2 years ago Charlie Papazian wrote an article where he sampled over 20 years of stored homebrew contest winners....and most of them had held up or improved.

Even not so good tasting beers get better with age. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

I cry out loud everytime I see your reference to that thread revvy. I think about the 43 bottles of Ed'S Haus sitting in my septic system. WHY OH GOD didn't I just keep them!

If you bottle your beer. Do you keep any long term? Or do you have to use it relatively fast to get good taste?

Most smaller beers, especially lighter colored beers and hoppy beers are best from about 3 weeks after bottling to about 2 months. After that they start tasting less fresh and the hops flavors start mellowing.

However larger beers and dark beers tend to improve for 6 months to years. My normal gravity stouts are usually best at about 6months, while Imperial Stouts often continue to improve after a year.

Nearly and home brew will still be very good at 6months. Most will make it to a year without too much deterioration. And again Big beers can often be cellared for years or even decades.

So it depends!

Craig

How long do I keep it?

Until it's gone.

I still have some of my first Barleywine made in Dec. of 2005

im gonna need another fridge.

It's nice but not necessary...you don't have to cold store them...you could store them in a cool basement...or a closet...anywhere not too hot, and out of the light.

But a beerstorage fridge would be cool...but I'd rather have a kegorator, and an fermentation fridge, and just chill down the beers when I was ready to drink them.

Back