Tart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylerro

Reaction score
:confused: I am hoping that some one would know why i have a tart tast to my wine. Well i started a 3.5 gallon batch of strawberry, kiwi, blackberry, and grape wine using Montrachet yeast. I boiled the juice and sugared to 1.100 SG. Added 3 tsp of yeast nutrient and two of bentonite It took two days to really vigorously start which lasted for a day. I just checked it and after 3.5 days the SG is now 1.010. I didn't taste any sugar so i re sugared it to 1.060. Could the tart be from a contamination. The flavor is GREAT but it is too tart. pH is now 3.4~3.8. Any ideas?

After adding the sugar it realy took off again, but is has a very strong tart.

I added citric acid 2 tsp but the pH is 3.4~3.8. Would you suggest putting in some Calcium Carbonate to get the pH to ~4 or greater?

I took a shoot glass volume and raised it pH to ~4.5 with calcium carbonate then mixed it very well for a minute. It helped a little. I did not have the sharp tart right away, but it still left a sharp tart after I tasted it.

MAn I have to say you should of just saved it and blended with another wine with a higher Ph.

You raised the PH Very high(I would add more acid After that), and the sugar, but you might like it that Sweet.

Did you check the (TA) Total Acidity with a acid test Kit.

It could of just needed time to Mellow out.

Back