Various questions regarding Rogue ceramic bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xumbi

Reaction score
I have one of Rogue's ceramic bottles (the RIS, fantastic!), and after searching this and other home brew sites I still can't find much information on them. They look like this just in case there's any confusion:

Brew10K.jpg

Are they completely ceramic? Someone suggested they are glass on the inside, and I don't feel like smashing mine to find out ;)

Has anyone tried to remove the label? It appears painted on, so I doubt this is possible.

Has anyone tried painting over the label? I'm not familiar enough with paint on ceramic to know what kind would be necessary.

These bottles are so unique, if I only had a way of removing or painting over the label for home brews it would help to justify the $16 price tag.

Thanks for any info.

$16 is a little steep. i got my IIPA for $12 i think. i'd say it's only worth it if you really want the beer, the bottle is just a bonus.

as far as i can tell it's entirely ceramic. i'm planning on using it for my next batch, but will be aging it for awhile so i wont be able to tell you how it turns out for quite some time.

p.s. i'm leaving the label. if you really want to cover it up, why not just stick a paper label over it?

Yes, they are all ceramic. They are made by a company in Germany I think. I really like them and wanted to use them for all of my bottling. Now I just keg. I have a couple of the Old Crusty bottles but cant seem to get the label off. I have scrubbed with sandpaper and that took off only a little. I soaked in star san and that didn't do anything. If you find out any tricks, post them!

Soak in oxi clean should work (starsan mabe). Never tried but there are threads on it. Happy brewing!

not sure what this "label" is, but i havn't met many things that acetone couldn't get off. just be sure not to get any IN the bottle, and make damn sure you wash the hell out of it afterwards, that stuff is poisonous as hell.

Rogue bottled Shakespeare Stout in the 22oz swing-top bottles. I can find it around here for ~ $5.00. If you are looking at picking up these style bottles for bottling, I would look for these. The price is much better.

Acetone will NOT remove paint from Rogue Ceramic bottles. Any one ever get the paint off these suckers?

I used CLR to remove graphics from Stone Brewing bottles. CLR did not work on other brands, like Coronado Brewing Co.

Latest posts

Back