Do You See Yourself Ever NOT Brewing Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You See Yourself Ever NOT Brewing Beer?

• NEVER…You’ll have to pry my hydrometer from my cold, dead fingers. (As long as I can drink beer)

• Not likely, I enjoy it and don’t see myself giving it up…but you never know.

• It’s a fun hobby but just that…a hobby. I could take it or leave it.

• In all likelihood, I don’t see myself keeping up with this a year from now.

• I’m already getting tired of this hobby and getting ready to sell my stuff.

• Been there…done that. Don’t brew anymore. I’m just lingering here at HBT for the fun conversat

Results are only viewable after voting.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First I brewed out of curiosity.
Then it moved to fascination.
Then to a yearning to move to the next level.
Then a passion for brewing world class (clone) recipes.
Then a need to share my passion with others (in the form of 7 taps and constantly flowing beer.)
Then a quasi-addiction to quality beer at a fraction of the price.

I guess I don’t see myself stopping unless I have to give up drinking.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I see myself giving it up someday when I find a SWMBO who doesn't tolerate it...but for now...living the dream.

You should find one that does tolerate it. No way I'd marry a chick that wouldn't let me do one of my hobbies I'm really passionate about. My wife complains, but it's usually just in jest. And, she knows I'm not gonna stop.

I've only been brewing for 6 months (9 batches), but I've already gone AG and I am very enthusiastic. I read a lot about beer and brewing. SWMBO is into, too, which is great. We have a long list of beers we want to make, enough to keep us brewing for years.

So, no, at this point I can't imagine giving it up. Eventually the initial rush of energy will fade, but I don't think it will ever go away completely.

I think most of the people on this forum will be the same way. I don't think many people who are contemplating giving up the hobby spend much time in places like this. But I could be wrong.

I have a tendancy to find a new hobby, obsess about it to the extreme, then back off a bit once I don't feel challenged anymore. The obsession usually lasts about 2-3 years but I never give it up totally.

It's an obsession, but I've barely brewed in months (hopefully changing this weekend). If we have another child and buy a new house (needing even more work), I could see a situation where I wasn't able to brew more than once every few months. I've developed a great appreciation for good beer, though, so whether drinking or brewing, that's not going to go away.

I don't see me completely stopping, but do see maybe years that I have to stop. Im to young to say that I will never stop brewing.

I had a similar thought for a poll that I've been kicking arond for a few weeks, BierMuncher.

You beat me to the punch again.

I'm still going to post mine. :)

I'm on a forced brewing vacation...temps have been too warm and I don't want any off flavors from fermenting in an 80+ degree basement. I can barely wait for fall- once I have the wort in the carboy, I'm checking the darned thing night and day! It's truly an obsession. :ban:

Right now I'm enjoying it too much to even think about giving it up. Even after all the monies that I've spent I still want to be able to buy more goodies for brewing. Last week I bought a 55 lb sack of MO and various other grains. This past weekend I finally went AG. Started around noon and was done at around 5:30. I am totally hooked now. I hope to brew atleast once a month, maybe twice!

This is a hobby that I've quickly become obsessed with in a short period of time. I can see myself someday having dry spells with brewing due to more important obligations, but I don't think I would ever give it up as long as I am physically able to brew.

And here's to having a SWMBO who's very tolerant of this new hobby! Perhaps I'll buy her some flowers today ....

Now that I'm a Born Again Homebrewer (I've seen the All Grain Light), I doubt that I will ever stop brewing beer better than I can buy at my local grocery store. It's just too tasty and convenient to have 60+ gallons at the ready in my garage to go with this Texas climate.

I like beer too much to give it up. Two things will make me stop; a Dr saying you'd die if you keep drinking beer (even though I don't swill it down like crazy). Or that dreaded day when it's too heavy to lug around the wort of which we'd all hit that someday. 1 gal batches? Or an assistant brewer...

I've only been brewing for a year, but I can't see giving it up. I love great beer and I love the process of AG brewing. That said as others have mentioned, you never know what life will bring you.

Yeah, I've been at it for about a year, and I just can't see going back to a brew-less life. I guess it would have to be some kind of horrible life-changing tragedy to pry me away from this. I find it therapeutic, calming, exciting, challenging, rewarding...all the stuff I want out of a hobby.

seefresh said:
You should find one that does tolerate it. No way I'd marry a chick that wouldn't let me do one of my hobbies I'm really passionate about.

I agree. Having something that you are passionate about and she is passionate against will drive a wedge in your marriage that will split your marriage. There will be no peace unless someone yields, and even then that person will harbor bitterness for having yielded.

There is some serious wisdom to the old bible adage about making sure you and your wife are "equally yoked".

I suppose some day I'll get to old to want to mess with it anymore, but I'm not anticipating quiting anytime too soon

I like to make the beer, and I like to drink it

Even though I just started, I can't see myself not brewing. I've always been into trying new things, and with beer I always tried sampling new styles. I'm also a cheapass, and so being able to (a) drink great beer that (b) is always changing and (c) is crazy inexpensive* with the added benefit that (d) I can say I made? Count me in.

I'm hesitant to say "never" or "always" though, as I thought I'd always be a vegetarian and I'm currently chewing a bite of bacon and sausage breakfast pizza. The curse of living in Buffalo, home of the chicken wing!

*Here you may try to bring up the cost of equipment to which I would reply "shut your dirty pie hole."

After seven years, I go through periods where I don't brew for months, then I might brew every week. The temperatures in the summer are really erratic (last year it was hitting 100F & it's been running 70-75F this August), so I've been working on a new kegger. I enjoy the clubs and like to take some HB to share, even if I'm not brewing the IN style.

I could get tired of it, I've had finches for 15 years & am waiting for the last one to die. But, I'll keep the cages.

DesertBrew said:
I like beer too much to give it up. Two things will make me stop; a Dr saying you'd die if you keep drinking beer (even though I don't swill it down like crazy). Or that dreaded day when it's too heavy to lug around the wort of which we'd all hit that someday. 1 gal batches? Or an assistant brewer...

The older I get the more I think about pumps to transfer the wort so I won't have to lift it.

evanmars said:
Man, don't ever settle! Find a SWMBO that not only tolerates it, but encourages it! :mug:

yeah, I wish, just seems to be trouble to even find a SWMBO who I like...the last one was such a PITA that I am very hesitant to even get to know a lady friend.

I like to have hobbies. Brewing is a fun one that I can do at home and be near my family. I imagine when my kids are older and off doing there own thing, I may pick up another hobby that takes over from the brewing. Good thing that won't happen for at least 10 years.

Even if I could no longer drink the beer, I don't think I would stop. Slow down maybe, but I enjoy the process way too much.

I love the process as much as anyone, but I think I'd find another hobby if I couldn't enjoy the fruits of my labors. I'd prolly get real serious with cooking, or something like that.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
yeah, I wish, just seems to be trouble to even find a SWMBO who I like...the last one was such a PITA that I am very hesitant to even get to know a lady friend.

Like Kaiser Wilhem once said,

“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world”

I'm one lucky SOB as I have one. :mug:

Do You See Yourself Ever NOT Brewing Beer? - A handy pamphlet

You may be in these situations if you see yourself not brewing. Please observe the following advice:

Near Death Experience - You are dying and you are having an out-of-body experience. Perhaps you finally dropped that glass carboy or set yourself on fire. Maybe you ruined your favorite batch and you convinced yourself that you are dying. Now is not the time to debate Better Bottles or sanitation practices. Move away from the light. Do not walk toward the light.

Alien Abduction - You have been abducted by aliens and you are in a dream like trance. Do not be stingy. Let them drink your beer. Do not let them implant anything, even if it's a ph meter/hydrometer (they'll lie about that). Cover your cornhole.

You are a clone - You are a clone and clearly you are the non-brewing clone that must die. Go watch the StarTrek episode about Lazurus. Leave the brewing clone to survive. It's for the greater good.

Since I've yet to find a negative effect of my brewing --Read: SWMBO approves! -- I enjoy it way too much to ever see myself not doing it. I suppose I would have to be physically unable to.

niquejim said:
The older I get the more I think about pumps to transfer the wort so I won't have to lift it.

I'm so with you on that!

ColoradoXJ13 said:

Not to highjack the thread, but...

I'm so with you on that! I had a string of GF's that I couldn't actually stand. It is not worth it to settle for one of those. No matter how long it takes, it is better to wait for the right one. I was 31 before I got married. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back