Avanti BD6000 Kegerator Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up an Avanti BD6000 kegerator on clearance from Best Buy for $399. I read all the reviews online, but the Kenmore/Sanyo was $699 and would take up to a week to deliver to Sears. ($799 for stainless!!!) So I gave in knowing I'd need to make some basic modifications.

The thermostat in this fridge is terrible - it wanders and it will not hold temperature worth a damn - it keeps freezing beer. This however is better than the Danby, which doesn't cool the beer enough. It can be solved with a simple temperature controller.

I added a Johnson temperature controller from Micromatic.
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/kegerator-conversion-kits-pid-E26.html

I also purchased 5 feet of 3/16 ID beer hose assembly with a nut on the end:
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/hoses-pid-547C60A.html

as well as a 3/16 stainless coupler:
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/fittings-pid-SSS-B2.html

The Avanti ships with only 3 feet of line, so I cut the line and spliced in an additional 3 feet, for a total of 6 feet of line. I was going to experiment with cutting it back, but I'm getting perfect pours, so I'm not going to modify anything.

The total from Micromatic came to $71 including shipping.

That's all I needed to get perfect pours and no foamy mess. However, I need to replace the sankey coupler. The first time I attached it it leaked. I unhooked it and hooked it back up again and no leaks... but I'm not going to take a risk, a new one is in the mail ($26). The faucet also leaks a drip or two after a pour, and then stops... so I'm going to replace the faucet too for $15.

So, $399 for a kegerator, plus $116 extra for a bar-quality faucet and coupler, plus the beer line and a precise temperature controller (which can also be used for brewing). Total: $515 for a kegerator with a better thermostat and higher-quality components than even the Sanyo or Kenmore, and it can fit a full-sized commercial 1/2 barrel keg.

Charles.

Looks good. You going to have room to add a second tap for two corny's? :)

So the coupler works fine? I need something like that, but was worried about it causing some foaming.

Nope, no foaming at all, but I did locate it closer to the keg than to the tap. It works wonderful. I'm going to get into brewing my own soon, but right now this thing will fit one of the tall 1/4 kegs and one of the 1/6 kegs... MAYBE two 1/4 kegs, but that may be cutting it close.

Oh, I forgot to mention, my Avanti has a stainless door, so it looks pretty nice too.

I am looking at buying one of these tomorrow on craigslist for $200 and want to make sure I understand the modifications that need to be done. Is it worth the trouble? Can you fit more than one corney in there? Can a dual tap be installed? Anyone know where to find a good priced dual tap?

thanks,
Rob

I got one of these bd6000's as well. It looks like it will fit 2 corney's, however I only measured. Still need to get one more corney to be sure. Luckily there is an outward curvature on the inside of the door for taking larger kegs, so the measurements look good. I will let you know what happens. I am building an enclosure in the room next to the Kitchen, where I will run the beer lines in to the kitchen under the counter into a double tap tower mounted on the countertop (I am building a Pub styled kitchen) I will send a picture when it is complete. Probably be in a month or so.

Slainte,

John

:mug::mug:
I just picked up an Avanti BD6000 kegerator on clearance from Best Buy for $399. I read all the reviews online, but the Kenmore/Sanyo was $699 and would take up to a week to deliver to Sears. ($799 for stainless!!!) So I gave in knowing I'd need to make some basic modifications.

The thermostat in this fridge is terrible - it wanders and it will not hold temperature worth a damn - it keeps freezing beer. This however is better than the Danby, which doesn't cool the beer enough. It can be solved with a simple temperature controller.

I added a Johnson temperature controller from Micromatic.
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/kegerator-conversion-kits-pid-E26.html

I also purchased 5 feet of 3/16 ID beer hose assembly with a nut on the end:
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/hoses-pid-547C60A.html

as well as a 3/16 stainless coupler:
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/fittings-pid-SSS-B2.html

The Avanti ships with only 3 feet of line, so I cut the line and spliced in an additional 3 feet, for a total of 6 feet of line. I was going to experiment with cutting it back, but I'm getting perfect pours, so I'm not going to modify anything.

The total from Micromatic came to $71 including shipping.

That's all I needed to get perfect pours and no foamy mess. However, I need to replace the sankey coupler. The first time I attached it it leaked. I unhooked it and hooked it back up again and no leaks... but I'm not going to take a risk, a new one is in the mail ($26). The faucet also leaks a drip or two after a pour, and then stops... so I'm going to replace the faucet too for $15.

So, $399 for a kegerator, plus $116 extra for a bar-quality faucet and coupler, plus the beer line and a precise temperature controller (which can also be used for brewing). Total: $515 for a kegerator with a better thermostat and higher-quality components than even the Sanyo or Kenmore, and it can fit a full-sized commercial 1/2 barrel keg.

Charles.
How did you get the sensor bulb into the compartment?

finally up n going! thanks for the tips..the #1 tip i failed to realize is just leaving the keg in there for 48-72 hrs for it to "settle in".
other tips i go were from the walmart site as i found out the "Igloo 6.0-Cubic Foot Kegerator" is pretty similar if not the same as the avanti one
WKqOdXl.jpg

Back