My beer lacks in body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc-ferg

Reaction score
Have a porter that is still in the carbonation process. It's done for the most part. I tried one and it seems it's to thin. I don't know how to explain it. Flavor has a slight alcohol taste but I spiced up the boil with sugar. So the longer it remains in the carbonations stage will it become more flavorful and bodied?

usmc-ferg said:
Have a porter that is still in the carbonation process. It's done for the most part. I tried one and it seems it's to thin. I don't know how to explain it. Flavor has a slight alcohol taste but I spiced up the boil with sugar. So the longer it remains in the carbonations stage will it become more flavorful and bodied?

Give us the recipe and process details, not enough info other than sugar will thin and dry the beer but how much as well as all the other info?

The alcohol taste will dissipate over time. sugar does increase alcohol in final product. Lastly, im not 100% sure about porters but all my beers tend to get a maltier profile after long term aging and dont gain body. just my 2 cents. good luck -cheers

I def think that you guys are spot on. The extra sugar must have thinned it out. And I does have that dry alcohol taste. But it's flavor is great. And I can tell the abc is up there haha.

All grain? If so, Mash temps make a difference. When I want a beer that has a real full body and mouthfeel I add half pound of flaked oats, half pound of wheat and mash at 155. This almost always results in a real full feeling beer for me. Other malt choices could play a role too, as could yeast/fermentation temps.

Plus, as mentioned, the sugar would do some of it too.

Back