Weird Gravity readings and airlock issues....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timo21

Reaction score
Ok so i decided to do my first batch of cider and im using the mangrove jacks pear cider. When i initially started my batch i took a gravity reading of 1.010, about 5 days later after it had seemed the bubbling in the airlock had come to an end i took another gravity reading of 1.020, THEN we opened the lid and added the pear flavoring giving it a quick stir and closed the lid like the directions said, However this morning (only two days later) i just another gravity reading and its at 1.032!!! whats going on?! also I noticed the water in my airlock doesnt look right. All the water is in the first chamber (my airlock is the kind that there is two little chambers side by side connected at the bottom by a smaller tube). when it is fermenting the air pressure from the inside pushes the water into the second chamber, when it is nearly finished its kinda balanced between the two and now its as if the pressure from outside my fermenter is pushing back INTO my fermenter AND i have also heard it bubble a couple times the last couple days. Is my fermenter sucking air from outside back in?!?! is my cider completely trashed?

Did you check to see if your hydrometer is working right? if you put it in a glass of water and it doesnt read 1.00 you know the issue.

The only other thing I can think of is that your having a LOT of water evaporate from your cider making the gravity go up...

That or someone's playing a prank on you and throwing things into your cider.

Back