Carving pumpkin for beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Its all I can find. I've read it's ok for soup or bread, beer is gonna have brown sugar and spices added so why not?

its worth a try. ive been told (by my step mom, who makes some serious pumpkin pie) that carving pumpkins are useless for pie because they are so stringy. i dont know if flavor is an issue. roast the pumpkin in the oven until its soft, taste it, then decide. sweet potatoes or butternut squash could be substitutes.

Probably what I'll do. Looked at Acorn squash but at $1.54 a pound it would be pricey. Got a pumpkin for $5. I read they were ok for soups, kinda like a mash right?

They say pie pumpkins are better, have more flavor.
But if roasting for an hour and mashing, it might not make much difference. Aren't the pumpkins mainly for a color and just a hint of flavor anyway? It's really all in the spice additions

Aren't the pumpkins mainly for a color and just a hint of flavor anyway? It's really all in the spice additions

Yep. Pumpkins don't have much taste. When people think of pumpkin flavor in beers/pie, it's from the spices. That being said, I am still putting pumpkin in my pumpkin ale. I feel like it's cheating if I don't...a tiny amount of canned pumpkin will satisfy my conscience.

sivdrinks said:
350 for an hour? How did it taste, heard they're pretty bland.

It didn't really taste like much. I got some good caramelization on it and I think it affected the body and. The color of the wort more than any actual flavor.

The 1 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice at flameout has much more impact on flavor.

So what's a tiny amount? Found organic canned but it's $2.50 for 15 ounces. Gonna do partial mash in a bag with 2# of 6 row, NB says to use a 8-10# pumpkin with grains.

Back