3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed the extract recipe for this on Saturday but I made a newbie mistake. I used 6lb of LME (Liquid Malt Extract) instead of DME (Dry Malt Extract). So if my conversion is correct, it would have been about 7.2 lbs of Dry Malt Extract. This is the first time I didn't use a kit (only 2nd attempt at home brewing) and didn't know the difference. Enough with the excuses... :smack:

How is this going to affect my beer? My thoughts are it will be sweeter because of the extra malt.
Is it ruined? Obviously not a Zombie Dust clone anymore.
Is there anything I can do to help the end result? Have read that adding extra dry hops would help but I know dry hops are for aroma so not sure how that take away from the sweetness of the malt. We have 3 oz of Citra hops for dry hopping already.

Other than my mistake, the brew went great. 3 days into fermentation and still pretty solid airlock activity. Probably will let it sit for another week before testing gravity and moving to secondary.

I brewed the extract recipe for this on Saturday but I made a newbie mistake. I used 6lb of LME (Liquid Malt Extract) instead of DME (Dry Malt Extract). So if my conversion is correct, it would have been about 7.2 lbs of Dry Malt Extract. This is the first time I didn't use a kit (only 2nd attempt at home brewing) and didn't know the difference. Enough with the excuses... :smack:

How is this going to affect my beer? My thoughts are it will be sweeter because of the extra malt.
Is it ruined? Obviously not a Zombie Dust clone anymore.
Is there anything I can do to help the end result? Have read that adding extra dry hops would help but I know dry hops are for aroma so not sure how that take away from the sweetness of the malt. We have 3 oz of Citra hops for dry hopping already.

Other than my mistake, the brew went great. 3 days into fermentation and still pretty solid airlock activity. Probably will let it sit for another week before testing gravity and moving to secondary.

what was your gravity? LME has less sugar than DME. 1lb of LME = ~.8lb of DME. So that would be ~4.8g of DME.

Dry hops do not add bitterness. They add aroma (which impacts perceived flavor). You should be fine there.

That was my understanding as well. Dry hops are more aroma. The early hop additions (early in your boil) are the only ones that affect the bitterness.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I feel as though dry hops absolutely add bitterness as well as aroma. When I dry hop in the keg, I definitely get a pungent taste post-dry hopping.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I feel as though dry hops absolutely add bitterness as well as aroma. When I dry hop in the keg, I definitely get a pungent taste post-dry hopping.

Aroma enhances the flavor in Beer just like it does in food, so it makes sense that the flavor is more pungent tasting. But more pungent flavor does not mean more bitterness . I am not sure what temperature extract the bittering compounds from hops, but I am pretty sure that it is higher than dry hopping temperatures .Try plugging your nose and drinking an IPA and see if it taste the same.

Just went to check the current gravity, 1.014. A little lower than expected but looks like all is good to transfer to secondary. Smelled great and tasted like flat beer which I'm happy with.

Pardon if this has already been covered, but when I put the extract version into Beer Smith, I only come up with an OG of 1.052.

What am I missing?

Aroma enhances the flavor in Beer just like it does in food, so it makes sense that the flavor is more pungent tasting. But more pungent flavor does not mean more bitterness . I am not sure what temperature extract the bittering compounds from hops, but I am pretty sure that it is higher than dry hopping temperatures .Try plugging your nose and drinking an IPA and see if it taste the same.

I'm talking about an actual sensation on the tongue. It's probably because I'm dry hopping in the keg and there are tiny hop particulates floating around in the beer, but it's absolutely a change in bitterness that is separate from the aroma.

I'm about 2.5 weeks in on the secondary for the extract recipe. What are people doing for time in secondary prior to the 5-7 dry hop period?

I'm going to say that most people aren't transferring this beer to secondary. I fermented for 5 days at which point it was at final gravity, then dry hopped in primary for 5 days and then kegged.

I'm going to say that most people aren't transferring this beer to secondary. I fermented for 5 days at which point it was at final gravity, then dry hopped in primary for 5 days and then kegged.

Fair enough, I'll look to start the dry hop shortly, but 10 days to keg sure seems short...

Just ordered a pound of citra from farmhouse, pretty excited to make this again. This will be my first repeat beer, and I have learned a ton since the last time I made it and the first time it was pretty tasty so I would imagine this time it should be stellar.

Brewing this for the fourth time tomorrow. I have actually put it into a ZD bottle at a share and people have declared it the best of the night, with actual Pliney, Heady, and others on the table!! This is a great citra brew, and I highly recommend it! Cheers all!

I brewed the extract version of this yesterday. I followed the recipe on the first page exactly. Original gravity was supposed to be 1.065 but I only ended up at 1.057
I plugged the recipe into my brewers friend app and it estimated the OG at exactly what I got. It's already fermenting, so my question is should I add some more DME at this point to bring the gravity up, or would that be a bad idea? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I brewed the extract version of this yesterday. I followed the recipe on the first page exactly. Original gravity was supposed to be 1.065 but I only ended up at 1.057
I plugged the recipe into my brewers friend app and it estimated the OG at exactly what I got. It's already fermenting, so my question is should I add some more DME at this point to bring the gravity up, or would that be a bad idea? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

OK, I'm still reading the thread, but have a couple questions. I have been partial mash brewing for about 5 years, but this is going to be my first all grain. Are you mashing this for 1 hour? As far as the sparge, are you slowly draining the wort and pouring it back through, or using fresh sparge water at temp? Just need to know how much water to add initially and at sparge if that is different. Brewing this week. Thanks!

OK, I'm still reading the thread, but have a couple questions. I have been partial mash brewing for about 5 years, but this is going to be my first all grain. Are you mashing this for 1 hour? As far as the sparge, are you slowly draining the wort and pouring it back through, or using fresh sparge water at temp? Just need to know how much water to add initially and at sparge if that is different. Brewing this week. Thanks!

For the mash, i usually do a 60min mash with about 1.25qt per pound of grain, then mash out at about 168 (add XX amount of XXX temperature water to bring the temp up to 168). When collecting 1st runnings I vorlauf about a gallon and pour it back into the mash tun. I usually put some foil or something on top to pour onto to keep the grain from being disturbed as much. Once it is drained, i add however much ~170F sparge water is needed to get my pre-boil volume, stir, let sit, vorlauf, and drain.

I just bottled my first attempt at this.

Perplexed at my final gravity. Hit my numbers pretty good. Brewersfriend calculated on OG of 1.069 I got 1.070 in 5.45 gallons. The recipe estimates a FG of 1.018 (BF estimated 1.019). I pitched s-04, 9 days in primary, 15 days in secondary and a FG of 1.011! My abv is 7.74!!!!

Anyone know what happened? Only thing i can thing of is that it was real warm the whole time (think 74-77, i'm in the middle east).

I'd appreciated anyones input.

I just bottled my first attempt at this.

Perplexed at my final gravity. Hit my numbers pretty good. Brewersfriend calculated on OG of 1.069 I got 1.070 in 5.45 gallons. The recipe estimates a FG of 1.018 (BF estimated 1.019). I pitched s-04, 9 days in primary, 15 days in secondary and a FG of 1.011! My abv is 7.74!!!!

Anyone know what happened? Only thing i can thing of is that it was real warm the whole time (think 74-77, i'm in the middle east).

I'd appreciated anyones input.

Wow, with a temp that high and s-04, you're going to have some banana esters likely.

Real quick, if anyone has an answer please, I'm at roughly 30 left in boil. Do all boil hop additions, including 1 min, come out at flameout, before cooling? Seems short on that last one. Thanks!

Real quick, if anyone has an answer please, I'm at roughly 30 left in boil. Do all boil hop additions, including 1 min, come out at flameout, before cooling? Seems short on that last one. Thanks!

yep - i mean that is the number of minutes before the end of your boil - is that what you mean?

Just brewed this for the second time. This time a mix between Citra and Amarillo.

Has anyone brewed an imperial version yet? Any link to the recipe?

Finally drinking my first attempt at this...

Ooh ooh ooh! It's like small citrusy beer angels are boogieing in my mouth.

Seriously. Amazing.

Latest posts

Back