Saison Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an all-grainer doing an extract fot the first time. Want to do a quick brew and reuse the yeast for a triple. Here is my recipe and procedures. How's it look?

Recipe: Belgian Saison Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.1 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

4 lbs DME Golden Light (Briess) 48.48 %
2 lbs LME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) 24.24 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked 6.06 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (Weyermann) 6.06 %
4.0 oz Carared (Weyermann) 3.03 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar Rocks, Clear 12.12 %
0.50 oz Willamette [6.40 %] (60 min) (FWH) 12.0 IBU
0.50 oz Willamette [6.40 %] (60 min) 12.0 IBU
0.50 oz Crystal [3.20 %] (15 min) 1.6 IBU
0.25 oz Crystal [3.20 %] (2 min) 0.5 IBU
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 oz Ginger, Candied (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 oz Ginger, Candied (Secondary 3.0 days)
0.50 tsp Lactic Acid
1.00 gm Gypsum
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214)

Notes:
1. Steep grains in 1/2 gal 154 °F water for 30 min.
2. Remove grains. Add FWH hops and 2.5 gallons water. Bring to boil.
3. Remove from heat. Add extract.
4. Bring back to boil. Add 60 min hops.
5. Add 15 min hops, sugar and spices.
6. Add 5 min spices.
7. Add 2 min hops
8. Add 1 gallon cold water and start wort chiller.
9. Drain into carboy and top off with bottled water to 5-gallons.
10. Ferment @ 73F. Raise 1F per day until 80F.
11. Add spices and ferment 3 more days or until done.

Saisons are tough to do well in extract because it's hard to get a sufficiently fermentable wort without mashing low. If it were my batch, I'd bump up the sugar a bit more to compensate. Plus, I've never found the Belgian ale to give me the right character. If you're not concerned about brewing a Saison specifically, though, this looks like a nice BPA-ish recipe. :mug:

Just use Wyeast 3711 French Saison. I've done two extract brews with that yeast that hit 1.006.

Yea this is a Saison/Blonde/Pale... Would like something Belgian but low gravity. Don't care too much about style. Just hope my process is OK to yield a decent beer. Adding sugar is an option...

Yea this is a Saison/Blonde/Pale... Would like something Belgian but low gravity. Don't care too much about style. Just hope my process is OK to yield a decent beer. Adding sugar is an option...

In that case, the recipe looks great. The gypsum and lactic additions of course depend on your water profile, but assuming you've had luck with those additions with this color beer before you should be good to go!

You brewed it to what is my philosophy as well. Good flavor complexity without all that gravity. Something that tastes really good,but you can also drink a few of them. Say 4.8%-5.9%ABV. And isn't that the whole point most of the time?

Back