Home Brewer V.S. Snobby food Critic.....we won

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
I am not from Belgium nor have i been, but I, like many of us, appreciate and have drank and brewed many a Belgian beer. I recently got into a debate with a very snobby egotistical food critic about quality Belgian beers. Here is the story for your amusement. Hope you enjoy.
I am a waiter at a fine dining restaurant, the chef and I have created a night in which we pair three interesting beers with three different tasting courses every week. Its a Byob...so the beer is just a taste and complimentary. I tell them as little or as much as they want to know about the beer, why it pairs, the style, or anything they want to learn.
On this faithful night we paired the third course: BBQ Baby back ribs with St. Bernardus Abt 12.
I was remarking to this critic who was in to try the tasting, how St. Bernardus Abt 12 is in my opinion one of the best Belgian Quads out there. He snickered, actually more laughed in my face, and said that since he has been to Belgium (are your picturing the snobby way this guy acts and talks?)...that Belgians themselves certainly don't regard it as a good beer. This surprised me, but I thought maybe he knows something I don't know, so I asked, "What do they consider the best of the style.. Westvelteren? Rochfort? Or was St Bernardus simply looked down upon due to being in the style of but not one of the official 6 Trappist breweries?
He...not knowing, had stumbled into the storm of knowledge we homebrewers have, and was quickly discovering he was not some dealing with a mere 25 year old weekend beer drinking waiter, ...looked at me and his wife with only a snobby blank grin....but had no response.
I feel I made those who appreciate our hobby and the beer gods proud! Oh, I also continued to expose his lack of knowledge on numerous other styles throughout the evening (while being nice of course, with a smile on my face), just to prove a point. Other points made in the night was the history and reason, and brewing style of Steam Beer (paired with the second course), beer additives in belgium, as compared with the german Reinheitsgebot, and the history or why IPA's are IPA's, which since that is one of the more well know beer tidbits...said to our snobby friend, "Surely then you know how India Pale Ales got the name then right?" He and his wife gave their normally snobby look and said of course!" "Well then maybe you should tell me, I said?" They looked at each other, didn't actually know the answer, and I quickly filled them in and walked away. Check Mate.
Never mess with a homebrewer! When beer styles are on the line!
Also don't get me wrong I am no beer snob. Normally I am excited when people share knowledge of beer, so we can get into more in depth conversations, and when people don't know but are interested I am happy to tell them what I know.....but this guy wasn't one of those people ..just a classic one upper, who got in a beer fact fight with the wrong guy...and lost.....badly.

Jerk or not, he did spark my interest what real Belgians think of their beers though. So my question to all you homebrewer's out there, who may have been to, or are, or know Belgium, what do they consider the best beers?

Also don't get me wrong I am no beer snob......but this guy wasn't one of those people ..just a classic one upper, who got in a beer fact fight with the wrong guy...and lost.....badly.

I think that to see it as a fight in which the goal is to humiliate the other guy by exposing him to your superior knowledge, you pretty much have to be a (beer/wine/food) snob.

I think that to see it as a fight in which the goal is to humiliate the other guy by exposing him to your superior knowledge, you pretty much have to be a (beer/wine/food) snob.

I disagree. That guy opened the can; he just didn't know it was full of whoop as5. The only two ways of dealing with snobs is to let them think they are right, or to put them down with kind but firm facts and statements of knowledge. In this story, the entire night would have been a nightmare for the OP unless he did something early.

I wouldn't say you beat a food snob, but rather a ******. I mean I know plenty of people who are food snobs and beer snobs, and they're perfectly nice people. This guy just sounds like an uninformed jerk.

PWNED!! :rockin:

I'm wondering if the "what Belgians think of their own beer" is similar to what Australians think of Fosters.
I remember chatting with a guy in my World of Warcraft guild whose wife is an Aussie (and they're planning a move there soon) who told me that Fosters "isn't just that popular" (respected) in Australia.
Maybe some breweries in Belgium are looked at the same way we view BMC here. I definitely am curious to learn this as well.

(an opposite phenomena can also be seen with French wine. Evidently you can get some very good wine in France for dirt cheap, and that Americans pay through the nose for wine that isn't as good as the stuff you can get on the cheap, in some local markets in France)

Just as an FYI, the commonly known tidbits about the history of IPA are pretty much all wrong.

Ehh, hard to say. I've read the whole dissertation from that English blogger who posts about it a lot...blanking on the name right now, and he basically goes on the "I can't find any documentation of so and so making hoppier beers to take to India, so the story is wrong. And it looks like people made hoppier beers before that style was established" I mostly got from him that the style more likely evolved over time than was just one day invented by one dude, but that doesn't really make the traditional story "wrong".

To the OP, good job on exposing the ******. :mug:

Nice story! To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how a Belgian would class St. Bernardus Abt 12, but its one of my personal favorites.

PWNED!! :rockin:

I'm wondering if the "what Belgians think of their own beer" is similar to what Australians think of Fosters.
I remember chatting with a guy in my World of Warcraft guild whose wife is an Aussie (and they're planning a move there soon) who told me that Fosters "isn't just that popular" (respected) in Australia.
Maybe some breweries in Belgium are looked at the same way we view BMC here. I definitely am curious to learn this as well.

(an opposite phenomena can also be seen with French wine. Evidently you can get some very good wine in France for dirt cheap, and that Americans pay through the nose for wine that isn't as good as the stuff you can get on the cheap, in some local markets in France)

Yeah the Aussies I know consider Foster's crap....also I've heard that Heineken is hardly sold in the Netherlands and is made pretty much only for export.

Jupiler is the top selling beer in Belgium, by far. Not sure what beer snobs like, availability of craft beers there is more regional than here. Jupiler is a international mass market lager or whatever you want to call it. Stella isn't that popular in Belgium but is in the UK and in the US obviously.

Heineken is overwhelmingly the top selling beer in the Netherlands. More might be exported but thats because there are more people outside of the Netherlands than inside. Lots of Budweiser is exported too. Many bars in Amsterdam only sell Heineken, try finding that situation in the US it is unheard of.

Foster's makes a different light lager called Victoria bitter that is the market leader in Australia.

Ehh, hard to say. I've read the whole dissertation from that English blogger who posts about it a lot...blanking on the name right now, and he basically goes on the "I can't find any documentation of so and so making hoppier beers to take to India, so the story is wrong. And it looks like people made hoppier beers before that style was established" I mostly got from him that the style more likely evolved over time than was just one day invented by one dude, but that doesn't really make the traditional story "wrong".

To the OP, good job on exposing the ******. :mug:

My biggest quibble is the notion that IPA was invented because no other beer could make it to India. There are clearly other styles designed to survive export (RIS, hello) that are older and beer was sent to India and consumed for a long time before the apparent use of the term "IPA". There is also a question of how much IPA differed from regular pale ales which were stronger then than they are now. It was likely more a marketing term than anything else.

My biggest quibble is the notion that IPA was invented because no other beer could make it to India. There are clearly other styles designed to survive export (RIS, hello) that are older and beer was sent to India and consumed for a long time before the apparent use of the term "IPA". There is also a question of how much IPA differed from regular pale ales which were stronger then than they are now. It was likely more a marketing term than anything else.
IPA's were still stronger than a standard or best pale ale. Gravity ranged from 1.060 to 1.070, were made with only pale malt, and used more hops than I could ever imagine, usually only one variety.

This lasted until the early 20th century when they started getting closer to what we know today.

If he in fact is an actual food critic, it's probably not wise to put him in his place. If he feels that you were purposefully humiliating him, he has the benefit of getting the last laugh in his write up.

At the low end of the snob scale: "Are there any four ingredient beers here?" (Septembeerfest a couple years ago.) Me: "Which four ingredients are you interested in?" Him: blank stare, his GF: "Snort!"

I was in Brussels last year and really there was no single beer that was preferred by the locals. Jupiler was here and there and the "big" Belgian beers (Hoegaarden, Chimay, Duvel, Leffe and Delirium Tremens) were out in full force too. Here's a picture I took at a gas station in Belgium:

4938_523237855628_64700226_31121140.jpg

Also, 4 pack of Chimay for 6 Euros..... I'm living in the wrong country.

I was in Brussels last year and really there was no single beer that was preferred by the locals. Jupiler was here and there and the "big" Belgian beers (Hoegaarden, Chimay, Duvel, Leffe and Delirium Tremens) were out in full force too. Here's a picture I took at a gas station in Belgium:

Is that Sangria?!?!?

Holy hell, that's the most amazing gas station I've ever seen! And those prices....

To the OP, awesome story. Way to represent!

I disagree. That guy opened the can; he just didn't know it was full of whoop as5. The only two ways of dealing with snobs is to let them think they are right, or to put them down with kind but firm facts and statements of knowledge.

Or just ignore it. You can't control other people's arrogance or stupidity, but you can be better than them. "Whooping someone's as5" just brings you down to their level.

I probably know more about brewing than a random guy drinking his Miller Lite at a bar. He can pontificate all he likes about what a great beer it is; I'm fine with that, even if he starts claiming it's triple hopped or something. I mean, why should that bother me?

Likewise, Tomme Arthur knows far more about brewing than I ever will. If I'm chattering to him about some beer I made, I have no doubt he could "whoop my as5" and make me feel like an idiot after I "opened the can" by saying something stupid or cocky (which I am sure I do on occasion.) But he's got nothing to prove, and he's a reasonably nice guy, so he doesn't do that.

I am not from Belgium nor have i been, but I, like many of us, appreciate and have drank and brewed many a Belgian beer. I recently got into a debate with a very snobby egotistical food critic about quality Belgian beers. Here is the story for your amusement. Hope you enjoy.
I am a waiter at a fine dining restaurant, the chef and I have created a night in which we pair three interesting beers with three different tasting courses every week. Its a Byob...so the beer is just a taste and complimentary. I tell them as little or as much as they want to know about the beer, why it pairs, the style, or anything they want to learn.
On this faithful night we paired the third course: BBQ Baby back ribs with St. Bernardus Abt 12.
I was remarking to this critic who was in to try the tasting, how St. Bernardus Abt 12 is in my opinion one of the best Belgian Quads out there. He snickered, actually more laughed in my face, and said that since he has been to Belgium (are your picturing the snobby way this guy acts and talks?)...that Belgians themselves certainly don't regard it as a good beer. This surprised me, but I thought maybe he knows something I don't know, so I asked, "What do they consider the best of the style.. Westvelteren? Rochfort? Or was St Bernardus simply looked down upon due to being in the style of but not one of the official 6 Trappist breweries?
He...not knowing, had stumbled into the storm of knowledge we homebrewers have, and was quickly discovering he was not some dealing with a mere 25 year old weekend beer drinking waiter, ...looked at me and his wife with only a snobby blank grin....but had no response.
I feel I made those who appreciate our hobby and the beer gods proud! Oh, I also continued to expose his lack of knowledge on numerous other styles throughout the evening (while being nice of course, with a smile on my face), just to prove a point. Other points made in the night was the history and reason, and brewing style of Steam Beer (paired with the second course), beer additives in belgium, as compared with the german Reinheitsgebot, and the history or why IPA's are IPA's, which since that is one of the more well know beer tidbits...said to our snobby friend, "Surely then you know how India Pale Ales got the name then right?" He and his wife gave their normally snobby look and said of course!" "Well then maybe you should tell me, I said?" They looked at each other, didn't actually know the answer, and I quickly filled them in and walked away. Check Mate.
Never mess with a homebrewer! When beer styles are on the line!
Also don't get me wrong I am no beer snob. Normally I am excited when people share knowledge of beer, so we can get into more in depth conversations, and when people don't know but are interested I am happy to tell them what I know.....but this guy wasn't one of those people ..just a classic one upper, who got in a beer fact fight with the wrong guy...and lost.....badly.

Jerk or not, he did spark my interest what real Belgians think of their beers though. So my question to all you homebrewer's out there, who may have been to, or are, or know Belgium, what do they consider the best beers?

It's always nice to know that you're better than your customers when you're bussing tables right?

I worked in restaurants and bars for years, the way you acted was snobby to tell the truth, and I hope the guy didn't drop you any tip.

Or just ignore it. You can't control other people's arrogance or stupidity, but you can be better than them. "Whooping someone's as5" just brings you down to their level.

I probably know more about brewing than a random guy drinking his Miller Lite at a bar. He can pontificate all he likes about what a great beer it is; I'm fine with that, even if he starts claiming it's triple hopped or something. I mean, why should that bother me?

Likewise, Tomme Arthur knows far more about brewing than I ever will. If I'm chattering to him about some beer I made, I have no doubt he could "whoop my as5" and make me feel like an idiot after I "opened the can" by saying something stupid or cocky (which I am sure I do on occasion.) But he's got nothing to prove, and he's a reasonably nice guy, so he doesn't do that.

Tomme should prove that he knows how to carbonate a beer.

It's always nice to know that you're better than your customers when you're bussing tables right?

I worked in restaurants and bars for years, the way you acted was snobby to tell the truth, and I hope the guy didn't drop you any tip.

Yeah, I mean it would be one thing if the guy was in the OP's face; but if I was at a restaurant and my waiter was asking me questions trying to show off I'd have a nice chat with the manager about why I wasn't there to play trivia games and end up eating for free.

You can basically say that the "people" of any country do not think a beer is good unless it is Bud, Coors, Miller, Pabst, Stella, Heinekin, Becks, Jupiler, Urquell, Staropramen, and probably a few others. So, technically the guy is right.

Beer snobs the world over pretty much like all the same beers, because they have access to all of them, so a Belgian beer snob probably likes all the same beers you do. There are marketing gimmicks that cause differences (like Jaegermeister being an upscale drink in the states and cheap swill in Germany) but for the most part, it's all the same.

As for your success, I hope it doesn't cost your restaurant anything, but I am quite sure that felt very, very good. PR really isn't my game either.

Actually, The Beer Tasting we created was to be: one, an interesting thing to bring people in, and two, a way to talk about and educate people on beer if and only if they are interested. They can actually order the three courses of food...without the beer, the beer is just a complimentary pairing if they ask. Like I said in the post, if people simply want to taste the beers, I tell them the kind it is and thats it. If they want more information: style, why it pairs with the food, how its brewed, where its from, history, I tell them.... if they ask.
My approach is far from the desire to flex my beer knowledge muscles. Instead it is to spread the love of beer to people who are interested.
This was a very out of sort scenario with someone who was a genuinely rude person trying to belittle the choices of beer, and the knowledge of those who are giving FREE BEER when we simply want to share good things with people.
Also as I mentioned in the post, I was incredibly nice to this man the entire time. I just simply held my own with true facts when he was suggesting otherwise. Never once was my professional food service demeanor broken........which makes it all the sweeter if you ask me ;)

In my experience in Beligum it seems like most beer connoisseurs really liked their local beer in the locality I was in, so saying "Belgians like X beer" is pretty stupid.

His meal was actually complimentary since he was a critic....keep in mind this was his suggestion that he gets a complimentary meal, and we let it slide. Maybe I am wrong but, don't real food critic's go into restaurants without them knowing, eat, leave, write it up later..? This guy doesn't even get paid to be a critic, he is a self proclaimed critic who writes a free article for a mag. But that not here nor there... he tipped me 13% very crappy...but....I wouldn't have expected much better from someone acting like him...beer or no beer. Not a nice guy.

In my experience in Beligum it seems like most beer connoisseurs really liked their local beer in the locality I was in, so saying "Belgians like X beer" is pretty stupid.

Thats what I would have thought too. I am sure there are some heavy hitting bigger breweries people like out there, but local regional would be key. Just like here in the States. I know the breweries I really normally always enjoy, but some of my favorite beers are in the good local brewpubs, and small distributers. Belgium is a lot smaller the the U.S. though...

I am a waiter at a fine dining restaurant, the chef and I have created a night in which we pair three interesting beers with three different tasting courses every week.

For the record, what restaurant do you work at? I live in State College and that sounds interesting.

On topic, I think it's hard to tell the tone of your interchange with the snob without having witnessed it. Some people have a definite and intentional air of haughtiness about their words, and if this guy's snobbery was as clear as you say then he probably deserved an unpleasant dinner. Then again, I dunno if I'd have the balls to verbally humiliate a customer...jobs are hard to come by these days;).

When I lived in Belgium the most popular beers from daily consumption are Jupiler and Leffe. Jupiler was even on tap at McDonalds in the Grand Place in Mons. For fancy dinners my girlfriend would buy St. Feuillien Blond, which she considered to be the best Belgian Beer, but she was French so I am not sure it that counts. I will confess that only during the beer festival did I see people drinking the really unique beers. On a daily basis it was Jupiler. My buddies laughed at me when I ordered a Framboise. They told me men drink Gueze!

Back