Suggestions on how to finish up my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukdkbr

Reaction score
1 month ago I brewed up a simple 2.5 gallon batch of cider. I used 2.5 gallons of juice, 1 cup of sugar and used White Labs cider yeast, my OG was 1.062. Over the last week I have been taking gravity readings and it's been steady at 1.001 and I transferred it to a secondary carboy to hopefully clear up.

This is my first batch of cider, what are my options for bottling and getting carbonation? Is there going to be enough active yeast left for this to happen? Also upon tasting it, it was really good, however it was quite tart. Will this tartness mellow with age in the bottle or should I back sweeten it somehow if I wanted to cut the tartness down a bit?

you have plenty of yeast, and will for a couple more months...

I would think it might not be completely done. I usually get a FG of <1.00. I assume you are not force carbing, so you need to back sweeten with a non-fermentable sugar (lactose or splenda...).

If you have a kegging system. I hult the fermentation with potassium sorbate and K-meta then sweeten with concentrated apple juice. then force carb and bottle from keg.

You are correct, I will be bottling ... but damn I need to get my act together and start kegging.

I may let it sit in secondary a few more weeks then see if I get any action out of it.

if it doesn't move in two weeks, i'd bottle it up.

Ya..kegs are a great investment :) That make it very easy to carb ciders and island mist wines...I also just love having beer on tap :)

dry still cider = easy
dry carbonated cider = easy
sweet still cider = easy
sweet carbonated ciders without artificial sweeteners or kegging system = bottle bombs

Latest posts

Back