Starter yeast for two batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
Hi I have been home brewing for a the past few months and I am looking to do two batches on Wednesday the 30th. I am planing on doing a Hefewiezen. I have only done one all grain but i did not make a yeast starter. I am planing on making a yeast starter for my next batch which will be all grain. I have WLP:300 and copper dry light malt extract to make the starter. The question I have may be stupid but so am I. If i make the starter yeast today could i have enough yeast cells to use for both, but different, 5 gallon batches or would i have to make a 10 gallon batch of the same exact hefewiezen and add the yeast to one batch and split it into two 6 gallon fementers? Thanks

When are you brewing? If it's later in the week or the weekend you will have plenty of time to step up the starter incrementally, til you have enough to picth into both fermenters.

I am going to be brewing in 4 days, the 30th of December. So would that be enough time for the yeast to grow to the amount i need for two different batches.

We've always done 12 gal batches and I have grown the yeast up more than enough in 3 days using Wyeast London 1968. Using a stir plate you shouldn't have any trouble.

As someone considering doing similar, how does one split up the starter. I've grown a few 2l stsrters as well as 1.2l per Mr malty.

Is it as simple as taking that starter and making two more with some of the original starter.

We've always just stepped up the original starter by adding more DME wort, transfering into a larger vessel if necessary. I use a large wine jug to do my big starters.

Back