Primary Temps vs Secondary temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhead

Reaction score
which would you consider more important.

1) keeping the fermenting temps of the primary in tolerance
2) keeping the clarifying temps of the secondary in tolerance
3) all of the above

Definitely number 1. Since that is when the yeast is most active, temperature is most important at this stage. In my experience, the beer is about 95% fermented by the time it goes into secondary. It is during the active fermentation where outside factors can affect the yeast, causing the production of undesirables in your beer.

I figured it was the primary as well however this leads me to a related question on secondary temps. If you got a beer in the secondary for say 1 week (2 total with primary) and is basically done fermenting do you think it'd be ok if it is moved from a cooler area (68 in ferm chiller) to a 77-78 environment?

Trying to figure out how to get more than one batch every 3 weeks going now that it's hotter than hell in the desert. Was contemplating shaving 1 week off by doing the above.

Thats what I'm doing with the current one as its not a big beer (actually quite thin). Thinking more in lines of the bigger beer that isn't quite done yet.

Back