Anybody got a good "Sake" recipe/ process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
I was wanting to make some sake for fun. I have done some research on it and could probably do it with what I know, but I always like to ask the HBT boards first....

Does anybody have a sure-fire proven method for Sake making?

Thanks

Can't remember if it was Zymurgy or BYO (I am thinking BYO) but one of those did a 3 or 4 page article on the processes of making a proper Sake at home. Until I read that I was like you, considering it strongly.

FWIW, you can make a quick and dirty Sake at home on a budget. Just be prepared for your head to melt from fusel explosions.

I throroughly enjoy the subtlety of Sake. Good luck on your quest. i'll keep to buying the bottles.

I think it was byo,...

When the article came out there was a florish of threads. Here's a few from search...Search= sake of course one a few of the threads are actual "sake" the other threads just had titles like "for christ sake" :D

For some reason Revvy's search link isn't working...but it worked yesterday and via that link I found this site.

I did a quick read of the process and I have a question: His process uses a bucket and says you need to mix the stuff with your hands to break up all the clumps of rice. I was hoping to just use one of my glass carboys. Is using a glass carboy (with it's very narrow opening) just asking for a PITA sake?

I def want to try making sake. I love the stuff. I'm not sure if I go to the sushi bars for the sushi or the sake (prob the combo).

For some reason Revvy's search link isn't working...but it worked yesterday and via that link I found this site.

I did a quick read of the process and I have a question: His process uses a bucket and says you need to mix the stuff with your hands to break up all the clumps of rice. I was hoping to just use one of my glass carboys. Is using a glass carboy (with it's very narrow opening) just asking for a PITA sake?

I def want to try making sake. I love the stuff. I'm not sure if I go to the sushi bars for the sushi or the sake (prob the combo).

Most of the Sushi bars here only stock and serve a lower grade Gekkeikan Traditional and some variants (pearl, etc....). If that is the case for you as well, I urge you visit a decent bottle shop and peruse their selections for a Junmai Daigingo-Shu grade Sake. OMG, it's heaven! The grade is clean enough that you can serve it chilled without feeling like you licked a Koji cake.

I read quite a bit of this guy's site and believe he knows what he is talking about. He joined us before but I don't think he have been here since. If I remember correctly, he offered to help anyone that wanted to contact him.

I'm intrigued enough to give this a shot!

Northern Brewer has the Koji spores and Sake yeast available.

sake-kit.jpg

Yea, he had a link to his site in his sig. His post count was extremely low but you're right, he seemed very friendly and eager to help.

Most of the Sushi bars here only stock and serve a lower grade Gekkeikan Traditional and some variants (pearl, etc....). If that is the case for you as well, I urge you visit a decent bottle shop and peruse their selections for a Junmai Daigingo-Shu grade Sake. OMG, it's heaven! The grade is clean enough that you can serve it chilled without feeling like you licked a Koji cake.
Thanks for the tip!:mug: I eat sushi in Vegas a lot and those places always have a good selection...I just let the waitress guide me. At home...not so much. I always want it chilled...from what I've read only the ****ty stuff gets heated (to make it drinkable).

Interesting tidbit I read was that the Japanese traditionally only drink sake with food.

Haha, this is prob right up your alley flyangler...more than one 'critter' involved.;)

Back