Why is my beer fruity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
I read something on an recent thread about fuity beer from airation after its cold. My current beer, only two weeks in the bottle, is fruity. I've noticed this with past brews and after about a month it goes away. Is this just the sugar from the priming sugar messing things up or is it something I'm doing wrong?

Some yeasts produce fruitiness at any temperature (Belgian banananana), some only when they are about their recommended temperature range.

I have to admit I fermented a little high, 78-80, on this last batch. But I did an IPA in the winter and it was much lower, around 70F.

The yeast was a 1056 on this last batch.

Is this normal to get this flavor on a young brew or not. It didn't taste like this before I added the priming sugar.

I'm thinking about just adding DME to prime next time to see if this gets rid of it.

I know your supposed to let it age but I can't help but try a few after a couple of weeks.

jcarson83 said:
I have to admit I fermented a little high, 78-80, on this last batch. But I did an IPA in the winter and it was much lower, around 70F.

The yeast was a 1056 on this last batch.

Is this normal to get this flavor on a young brew or not. It didn't taste like this before I added the priming sugar.

I'm thinking about just adding DME to prime next time to see if this gets rid of it.

I know your supposed to let it age but I can't help but try a few after a couple of weeks.
Your "fruity" problem is caused by the high fermenting temp...nothing else.:(

The priming sugar wouldn't change your product much so you can't blame it so switching to DME won't change anything.

Just try to keep your fermenting temps low or don't brew when it's too warm.

homebrewer_99 said:
Your "fruity" problem is caused by the high fermenting temp...nothing else.:(

The priming sugar wouldn't change your product much so you can't blame it so switching to DME won't change anything.

Just try to keep your fermenting temps low or don't brew when it's too warm.

Will bottle conditioning help?

homebrewer_99 said:
Help reduce the fruitiness? Unfortunately, no.

The only way to save this batch is to mix/blend it with a batch that is overly bitter. In this case 2 bads can make a good.

It's already carbonated so I don't think thats an option. Maybe I'm not describing it right because my yellow dog and IPA seemed to get better with age.

jcarson83 said:
It's already carbonated so I don't think thats an option. Maybe I'm not describing it right because my yellow dog and IPA seemed to get better with age.
OK, well just in case, what I meant was take 2 bad beers and mix them as you pour, or pour a half and half into a pitcher to mix them.:D Both beers can be carbonated. It doesn't matter. Kind of like making a black and tan...mixing a sweet and bitter.:D

Dry hopping will often cause a fruitty flavor that diminishes with age, esspecially with plugs, or leaf. What kind of fruit?

Like I said, maybe I'm not describing it right. Its just a sweet sort of flavor. I don't think I could compare it to any specific fruit. I don't think its the fact that I dry hopped this one because I've had similar results from other beers that went went away with age.

I was just starting this thread to find out what was causing it and I'm not completely convinced it was the high fermentation temerature.

I'll let everyone know what it tastes like after another week.

Shouldn't be. Its a Pale Ale that should be at least 40 IBU if not higher. But I can see how that would be the case in under hopped beers. In the first pale ale I did it had similar characteristics. Early on it had that sweet flavor and not so hoppy. Then after about 4 months in the bottle the sweetness went away completely and the hoppiness came out. That one was an extract so Its hard to trouble shoot with it.

Latest posts

Back