Priming Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
I just ran to my LHBS for some supplies and they are closed for the week. I usually just buy the 5 oz. bags of priming sugar.

So now I have to go to the grocery store to find something to prime with. Can someone tell me exactly what you would buy and how much you would use?

I'm bottling a blonde ale. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Confectionary sugar is powdered sugar. I think it might have corn starch in it, which isn't what you want.

Just use regular table sugar. Scinder is right that the amount will be slightly different than corn sugar.

From About.com "For each cup of confectioner's sugar: Add one cup of regular granulated sugar to the blender.
Blend (pulse) until it turns to powder.Corn starch or other additives are used in commercial products, and if you're getting a taste that doesn't match what you need, try adding 1 to 1 1/4 tablespoons of corn starch for each cup of sugar."

+1 to the site above - you need a little less cane sugar than corn sugar

From About.com "For each cup of confectioner's sugar: Add one cup of regular granulated sugar to the blender.
Blend (pulse) until it turns to powder.Corn starch or other additives are used in commercial products, and if you're getting a taste that doesn't match what you need, try adding 1 to 1 1/4 tablespoons of corn starch for each cup of sugar."

+1 to the site above - you need a little less cane sugar than corn sugar

So cane sugar is just regular old table sugar??

Yes. Table sugar is made from sugar cane.

I have never done this so take my opinion for what its worth. But, not all sugar is made from cane, a lot in the states comes from sugar beets. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but if I was going to go this route I would be sure the package reads cane sugar.

Would it be better to buy raw cane sugar or is the processed sugar better?

Yes. Table sugar is made from sugar cane.
Or beets. Either way, table sugar is almost pure sucrose.

I use table sugar to prime all of my beers. It's cheap and I always have some around. AND, it works!

Ceedubya said:
Would it be better to buy raw cane sugar or is the processed sugar better?
If you're trying to add flavor, less processed sugars like turbanado can be good. But their sucrose content, and thus fermentability, is far more variable than processed white table sugar. Since we generally want our carbonation to be at a certain level, I'd go for reliability or any flavor-advantages that less refined sugars might offer.

+1 for above post.
I've used table sugar as well for all of my batches and i've never had an issue with it. I wouldn't suggest that it is the best option, but its always in the cupboard.

Back