Tap-a-Draft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Ok, so some of you might have noticed that I'm trying for an alternate way of kegging. Basically I don't want to keg the whole 5gallon batch, or to have to carry around a 5lb tank of co2. Anyway, has anyone tried this Tap-A-Draft product? It looks promising. The co2 is regulated to 15psi and you can even force carbonate in the 6liter bottle with 2 cartriges. Anyway, comments?

I have bought two of them. I have had some good luck and some bad luck. I have had some of the lids leak. I would recommend changing the lids out frequently. I cant remember how much sugar you add but you dont dissolve it you just put it right in. I think a table spoon or so I cant remember. As far as affecting the tast of the beer Its always tasted great. You can also use the two liter soda bottles they fit the attachment. I dont use mine anymore. I have not had any luck force carbing with the two cylinders, but They are fairly expensive for plastic and a few o-rings. But its nice to go to your fridge( The plastic containers fit very well) And get cold beer when you are ready. I would get extra o-rings for it as well.

Hm, not sure about the 2 liter bottles, but you can definitely use 3 liter soda bottles. I went to the grocery store and bought 6 of them for around $7, dumped out the soda, and that's what I use instead of a 6 liter bottle.

I usually put all the beer in the bottling bucket as usual with the same amount of sugar water (for me that's 1 cup of sugar dissolved in water), then rack the beer to the 3 liter bottles and whats left goes in a 5 gallon keg. While the 3 liter bottles are naturally fermenting, I take one right away and put it in the fridge to cool down, then add one CO2 cartridge and let that sit overnight, then when I wake up in the morning I add the second CO2 cartridge. You get force carbonation in a day or two, but it gets better as it sits.

Hopefully as you've enjoyed the first or second 3 liter bottle, the others have finished naturally carbonating and can be enjoyed right away...

DT

I have the TAD and it does leak when conditioning, even with the newer pressure relief caps the companys sells. I have tapped it and I like how it pours and stays fresh. For the cost I think its a good deal. I prime with the standard 3/4 of sugar and just fill the TAD after about 6-8 bottles.

Ya its 3 liter not 2, sorry about that..... I have not used mine in a long time, I am a little afraid to use it because of the caps leaking

I also have the TAD (3 years) and also have had good and bad experiences with it. I haven't tried force carbing with the TAD yet but am interested in experimenting. As far as the bad experiences just a few weeks ago I tapped my Clubhouse Cream Ale and I had a major airleak somewhere in the actual tap unit. If there is a major leak the beer pours for 3-4 pints then stops. A day later you can get another pint or so out, then the lack of pressure stops all pouring out of the spout. Needless to say we drank the 6L in two days. The brew was excellent but the experience was lame.

I called the BG Sturman Co and spoke to Benny and he said to send the unit in and he would take a look. Well I got my TAD back refurbished to new. Good experience.

The new TAD worked well but we experienced major foaming issues. After letting the beer chill for 2 days, we placed the TAD on the bottle, added 2 cartridges and let sit for another 2 days. When we tried to pour beer all we got was foam for the first 10-15 pints (what a waste). After another 2-3 days of sitting we poured 2 more pints of foam before we actually started to get brew. Once the brew was pouring everything was fine, beer tasted great, good carbonation, and having it in the fridge on tap was cool. I guess this would be a mixed experience.

Not to hijack or anything but a question for Brew-boy and Dark_Ale. Since we got so much foam after letting the beer sit for 4 days, do you think this was caused by too much pressure from 2 co2 cartridges? Would it be better to only use 1, then supplement with the 2nd cartridge as needed?

Overall, the TAD is ok imho. My wife prefers draught beer so these small misfortunes actually are furthering my cause to get a kegerator in the house!

Perhaps one may be the answer as long as there was no residual sugar but since it was cold I doubt that was the problem. I would try one and as you suggested a second if needed. I also had problems with my second TAD I bought. Once I screwed on the fitting it did not hold pressure. I thought it might be a o-ring or something but they were good so I took it back and got a new one....No problems since except sometimes the lids leak. They also sell that whipping cream gas you can use one of those and one co2 cylinder, Just a thought

Back