Final Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
i'm intrigued by the imperial stout category. i am working up a recipe on brewsmith and notice that the FG is estimated to be about 1.027. what exactly makes one beer have a higher final gravity than others? i'm just used to seeing beers with an FG of 1.012 or so.

thanks!

Starting gravity
Mash temp
Grain bill
Yeast
Aeration
Pitch rate

to name a few.

with an imperial stout i'm guessing the starting gravity plays a major role?

mash temp or yeast don't seem to affect beersmith's estimates, but i guess you mean that if you don't have a proper pitch rate or aeration, the yeast will not be as effective as it would in a perfect environment.

there is soooooooo much that affects gravity. Stouts are usually going to have a higher FG than lighter ales- mostly due to the grain bill (ie., different grains have different degrees of fermentable sugars that you can convert out of them - some have little to no fermentable sugars which means you will have a higher FG from including them).

Different yeast strains, attenuate differently... yeast strain WILL affect attenuation.

The HIGH OG of any Imperial, is a major contributr to the high FG.

Latest posts

Back