pH testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious as to why you'd want to do this, that is, if you mean the final product. pH is most important in the mash and to a lesser degree, the boil. The pH of beer is typically in the low 4s. It is brought down to this pH through the mash, boil, and fermentation.

You could test it with a meter (expensive) or the pH strips made for the pH ranges specific to brewing. You can get them at any LHBS and they're accurate enough when you consider the expense and calibration of a pH meter.

Just curious as to why you'd want to do this, that is, if you mean the final product. pH is most important in the mash and to a lesser degree, the boil. The pH of beer is typically in the low 4s. It is brought down to this pH through the mash, boil, and fermentation.

You could test it with a meter (expensive) or the pH strips made for the pH ranges specific to brewing. You can get them at any LHBS and they're accurate enough when you consider the expense and calibration of a pH meter.

Guessing by being his 2nd post he was really trying asking who tests their mash pH while doing AG brews. I use 5.2 stabilizer and dont test currently but will switch to testing then ajust w/brewing salts once I get a pH reader.

If you're asking about the mash, I test with pH strips and get 5.4 with the correct amount of of pH 5.2 stabilizer :-/. So, I have been using 4/3 times the recommended dosage.

Back