Recipe Sanity Check (Colamel)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Here it is :

16lbs Honey
5 Gallons spring water
Lalvin D-47
2tsp energizer
2tsp nutrient
zest of 10 oranges (1 1/4 cups)
zest of 10 limes (2/3rd cup)
zest of 5 lemons (1/3rd cup)
1.25 tsp ground cinnamon
1.25 tsp ground nutmeg
5 points of a star anise
2.5 tsp lavender flowers
50g stem of fresh ginger
1 to 2 vanilla pods with the seeds scrapped out and added as well

I'm trying to mimic the flavors found in Colas.

I wrote how I came up with this recipe at my blog :
http://digdansdeductions.blogspot.com/2009/10/colamel.html

Let me know if I'm far off on anything.

Based on your question it would appear that this is an experiment attempting to mimic a specific flavor. Assuming that to be the case, I would suggest scaling that recipe way down in case the ingredient content (and/or proportions) do not produce what you intend... ;)

Well 16lbs will make a fairly sweet mead. How it comes out will depend on the honey you use. I would suggest you go with the cheaper clove or wildflower honey as you are covering it with citrus.

Also the ginger seems a bit low. But then again I do not know what you are trying to achieve. Ginger beer (ginger ale) is about 1oz per gallon (I use more like 1.5oz). Also the limes are a bit bitter, so you my want to exchange some lemon or orange for the limes.

And I agree, make this in 1G batches until you get the recipe down. Of course you will have to wait a while between bottles. At the bare minimum I would say let them age 3 months and taste.

Here it is :

16lbs Honey
5 Gallons spring water
Lalvin D-47
2tsp energizer
2tsp nutrient
zest of 10 oranges (1 1/4 cups)
zest of 10 limes (2/3rd cup)
zest of 5 lemons (1/3rd cup)

1.25 tsp ground cinnamon
1.25 tsp ground nutmeg
5 points of a star anise
2.5 tsp lavender flowers
50g stem of fresh ginger
1 to 2 vanilla pods with the seeds scrapped out and added as well

I'm trying to mimic the flavors found in Colas.

I wrote how I came up with this recipe at my blog :
http://digdansdeductions.blogspot.com/2009/10/colamel.html

Let me know if I'm far off on anything.

Oughta be zesty, anyway...:D

1 Gallon test run? Sounds great.

Just finished up. The smell of the spice mixture was amazing. I have made lavender meads before and was really impressed with the lavender smell from the Super Blue lavender I purchased. I went with Montrachet yeast.

colamelcomplete.th.png

Hope this one turns out. I'm sure it will.

Red bull makes a cola, and they list every single herb they use. Something to look into anyway.

• Water
  • Sugar
  • Carbon dioxide
  • Natural caramel color
  • Natural flavors from plant extracts (0.37%): galangal, vanilla, mustard seed, lime, kola nut, cocoa, liquorice, cinnamon, lemon, ginger, coca leaf, orange, corn mint, pine, cardamom, mace, clove, and lemon juice concentrate
  • Caffeine from coffee beans.
And from what I hear, trace amounts of cocaine.

The only herbs that exist in both recipes is the vanilla,lime,cinnamon,lemon,ginger,orange

So i would be left trying to figure out the galangal,mustard seed(? really?), pine, cardamon, mace, clove.

Galangal has a peppercorn like flavor to it, and I have no idea what the mustard seed is doing in there. Pine is a broad statement, cause thats a type of wood... or is it the sap? I have to admit that cardamon has a very "cocacola" like flavor, but it numbs my tounge when I use it (perhaps I'm over doing it). And I can't place why they would have mace or clove in there. Perhaps I need to find another cola recipe.

Back