1st 10 gallon batch, any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
what should my post boil volume be :11 gallons or 10.5 gallons?

what should my preboil volume be, do i just double everything?

i'm not worried, i just wondered if there were any tips for going from 5-10gallon batches.

thanks.:ban::ban:

I use Brewsmith, and just have it scale the recipe. I usually shoot for 11 gallons into the fermentors (2 x 5.5 gallon). Just doubling would probably work too, to a good first approximation.

Keep in mind that your boiloff rate won't be a percentage, so when you scale up your recipe, you won't have to adjust the boil off. What I mean is that if you are using the same kettle, the boil rate will be the same whatever size batch you're making. If you boil off 1 gallon an hour, that will remain the same.

If you're using a new kettle, it could be different, especially if the new kettle is wider.

Keep this in mind too

Your mash tun will be more efficient with regards to temperature when using more grain IE be carefull not to overshoot your mash temp.

YES boil off is the same using the same kettle

i wish i had read thi first. i did overshoot the mash temp. no big deal, but it would have been nice to know. other than that, brew went off without a hitch.

thanks.

Overshoot is better than under at least! Then you can just stir or add bits of cold water or ice, NP.
I just started 10 gallon batches as well, just did my third. I am seriously needing a march pump now, I'm lifting and dumping like 8 gallons of hot strike, and lifting my keggle with the whole 13 or more gallons of preboil up onto a propane burner. I keep getting the awful feeling that my knees are going to buckle and I'll end up with a sticky smelly patio. This isn't a good method :p

Cheers and good luck

Overshoot is better than under at least! Then you can just stir or add bits of cold water or ice, NP.
I just started 10 gallon batches as well, just did my third. I am seriously needing a march pump now, I'm lifting and dumping like 8 gallons of hot strike, and lifting my keggle with the whole 13 or more gallons of preboil up onto a propane burner. I keep getting the awful feeling that my knees are going to buckle and I'll end up with a sticky smelly patio. This isn't a good method :p

Cheers and good luck

That is what has kept me from going to 10 gallons. I don't have the equipment or don't know what equipment I would need.

Cheers and good luck

Using an intermediate container for the 13 gallons of wort, like a big cooler, you can transfer that to the keggle manually with a small, open container (like 2 quarts at a time). This will help avoid most of the heavy lifting. :)

Latest posts

Back