recommendations for "entry level" gas grills...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so The Wife told me last night to buy myself a gas grill and wish myself a happy father's day, but to buy it fairly soon because we need it for a party in a couple weeks. I've basically set myself a budget of a couple hundred bucks, I'm really just looking at basic, "entry level" grills at this point. I'd like something which is solid, I don't need a lot of bells and whisles, I'd like something that is built well and will hold up. If anything, it'd be nice to have something a little bigger, just to facilitate things like this party. Anyone have any recommendations? Should I just go to the store and buy the shiniest one?

Oh, and this is definately to be a propane grill. I've got a charcoal grill that I rarely use because of how long it takes; propane, I can see myself using all the time (and I'll be able to break out the big honkin' wok more often, too!)

I say Weber or Vermont Castings. I have had my Weber for 9 years and it is holding up great. These are both a bit pricey, but a tryue testament that you get what you pay for!

Don't really know quality of different brands, but whatever you get, make sure to cover it in the winter. I've lost a couple grills prematurely due to lazyness, and the burners seem to be the first thing to rust out.

One piece of advice I have is that if you think you're going to pay for all stainless so you can be lazy and leave it uncovered, just realize that all the connecting hardware/screws/handles etc may not be of the same quality as the stainless sheet they use. Exhibit A is my all stainless Charbroil where certain screws completely rusted out. They DO use solid brass burners that have a lifetime warranty though.

I guess another question I should ask... what really differentiates one grill over another? Using solid brass for the burners a positive... Lifetime warranty on burners... is there really much practical difference between 40k and 48k BTUs, for example? What else should I be looking for?

I have a charbroil patio caddie that I've owned for ten years or so. I've been happy with it, although I did replace the regulator with one that flows a bit more gas to get higher temperatures. At $159, it's a pretty good grill.
41VShO72CyL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

If you're cooking for more than three people on a regular basis, the cooking surface may be a bit small. Otherwise, It's been good. It heats quickly, does great on chicken, fish, and chops, and gets a decent, if not perfect, sear on steaks, provided you let it get good and hot first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should say, too, that $200 isn't a "firm" budget - but if I'm going much above that, I need to be able to convince myself that it's going to be worth it in the end.

I'm a charcoal guy, but 8 years ago I won an elcheapo Fiesta gas grill that has held up well. The only thing I do is replace the burner about every 3 years with a generic one from Wally World.

I would recomend if your going to spend the bucks on a grill you'll also want to spend the bucks on a good cover, they make a big diffrence in how long the grill will last. Also buy yourself some bunjee cords to hold the cover down. I've lost 2 covers to high winds.

I'm in the same boat as you, looking for a new grill for myself as a father's day gift. The one thing that I'm certain I am looking for is a model with at least 3 burners that run front to back. I've had a few grills over the years with 2 burners that run side to side and never really liked that setup. You seem to be able to get a lot better temperature control with a 3 or 4 burner setup.

I did a bunch of research and bought a fairly expensive one($900, Ducane from Home Depot) last summer that I intend to use for a long time. It's stainless and I keep it covered at all times when not using it - it still looks brand new(on the outside!). One item I would mention is that I priced grills at both specialty outdoor shops(like where they sell only this sort of stuff) and at Home Depot, Costco, etc. The big box stores were MUCH cheaper than the specialty shops on all of the products I looked at.

If you're willing to say, double that budget you can get one that will last. Most of the reliable manufacturers basically sell the same feature set at each price point. Weber, Vermont Castings, Ducane, Viking, etc. For $500 you can get a pretty solid one. I think at the $200 price point they are going to be either smaller, or cheaply built.

Dis mines:
http://www.ducane.com/ducane/grills/default.aspx?plid=8&mid=33#TOP

Seems like a lot of love for Weber. Anyone have this, the "Weber Spirit® E-210™ LP Gas Grill"? $300, a bit higher than the initial target; worth a premium to get a Weber, or better to go cheap and plan on REALLY upgrading in a couple years?

7e734afb-95ea-428d-89b6-1ef7a1f177db_300.jpg

That's a nice grill and the only thing wrong is only 2 burners. The more burners the more options you have(direct vs. indirect heat). You certainly wouldn't be disappointed with that one , but I would start cheap and see if you would use it 3 times a week or think about using it 3 times a week;) . then upgrade accordingly

I saw that it was only two burners... is that the real issue with two burners, pretty much having to use direct heat?

Here's a dumb question to show my ignorance with propane grills (I've only used charcoal); I can get one of those little metal smoker boxed and fill it with wood chips if I want to impart a little smoke character, right? If this grill is going to be make it tough to cook with indirect heat, would that impact my ability to do that?

I've had the low end 3 burner Weber for ten years. Ive replaced the Grate, the Flavorizer Bars, and The Ignition sparker thing.:confused:

But the grill body and frame are all still great. It has been exposed to the elements the whole time.

$300 at Lowes..
047362326805.jpg

50,000 BTUs
660 sq. in. cooking area
Electronic ignition
Porcelain cast-iron cooking surface
Porcelain heat tent
28 burger capacity
Tank sold separately
Dual fuel LP/NG convertible valves
Welded and polished double wall hood
Fully enclosed cart
Conversion kit availble #92925

It doesn't say anything about lifetime warranty brass burners though...maybe they ended that mess...

I saw that it was only two burners... is that the real issue with two burners, pretty much having to use direct heat?

Here's a dumb question to show my ignorance with propane grills (I've only used charcoal); I can get one of those little metal smoker boxed and fill it with wood chips if I want to impart a little smoke character, right? If this grill is going to be make it tough to cook with indirect heat, would that impact my ability to do that?

Yeah it does. I have a 3 burner with a smoker box and while not as good as a dedicated smoker it does a fair job

This thread is helping out all of us who are in the market for a new grill.

Thanks guys!

Am I being stupid for not waiting a week or two? Am I likely forgoing some pretty nice Father's Day sales if I buy something tonight?

$300 at Lowes..
047362326805.jpg

50,000 BTUs
660 sq. in. cooking area
Electronic ignition
Porcelain heat tent
28 burger capacity
Tank sold separately
Fully enclosed cart

It doesn't say anything about lifetime warranty brass burners though...maybe they ended that mess...
That gets my vote.
Use a foil pouch with wood chips to impart smoked flavor.

Here's a dumb question to show my ignorance with propane grills (I've only used charcoal); I can get one of those little metal smoker boxed and fill it with wood chips if I want to impart a little smoke character, right?

I do that with my two-burner propane grill all the time...food on the left over unlit burner, smoker box on the right over lit burner. It basically turns your grill into an oven, with the ability to add some smoke. Great for beer can chicken, as you can see below!

Too bad you're not local...I've just ordered a new Blue Ember natural gas grill, and could give you my Char-Broil propane grill. It's in good shape, I just wanted to get off the propane teat as well as get a bigger grill.

BeerCanChicken2.jpg

Am I being stupid for not waiting a week or two? Am I likely forgoing some pretty nice Father's Day sales if I buy something tonight?

I suspect if you buy it from one of the bigger chain stores and they have a sale you can take the receipt in during the sale and get the price difference back. If they refuse (they shouldn't) then tell them your just going to return it and buy it again

I do that with my two-burner propane grill all the time...food on the left over unlit burner, smoker box on the right over lit burner. It basically turns your grill into an oven, with the ability to add some smoke. Great for beer can chicken, as you can see below!

Too bad you're not local...I've just ordered a new Blue Ember natural gas grill, and could give you my Char-Broil propane grill. It's in good shape, I just wanted to get off the propane teat as well as get a bigger grill.

BeerCanChicken2.jpg

:off: IS that Fesca up that chickens A$$?

$300 at Lowes..

50,000 BTUs
660 sq. in. cooking area
Electronic ignition
Porcelain heat tent
28 burger capacity
Tank sold separately
Fully enclosed cart

I have the 5 burner version of this from 2 years prior. This model is the one I'm trying to convince my Dad to get. I'm real happy with mine. I added a rotissarie to mine, but I think the new ones all come with it now, and with an infrared back burner...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=100497225&N=10000003+503171+10401010

This is the one I purchased last year. It's a 4-burner with a side burner, and I built it at my house.. took me about 2 hours taking my time having a couple of beers. It was my first grill and I love it. I'm used to using my father's Webers at home, but for an entry level grill it has some good options (4 burners gives you more controll, and a side burner is always helpful). I figure that I will just beat on this grill until it falls apart, but so far it's been perfect. I have cooked on it year round as well.

I love webers, but if you're just getting into grilling and have a budget, the charbroil is a fine grill.

I bought a <90 dollar 2 burner Char-broil in '99 and used it a LOT; winters too. Bought a cheap cover and used it, most nights...(it didn't always make it back on before rain). Drilled a hole in the lid and added a thermometer. Took out the hand burner/warming rack. I replaced the burners once and the v-shaped deflector twice (Walmart), and just this spring one gas valve froze up. It has wood side tables and a flip-up front shelf.

I had considered just looking to see if a valve assembly was available, since it was clean, the burners and V were still good, and had fresh rock/brickettes in the bottom. But I had shopped, too, for a mid level SS one with brass burners to have something more durable.

Then I happened on a moving sale and got the same model, actually one step up, as it had the side burner, for 10 bucks-no propane tank. Looks like it got cooked on for a month, same relative age as mine.

Thing is, the cheap azz ones are big enough for our pool parties, the 2 burners allow for indirect cooking, and you can still throw soaked wood chunks in for smoke, I figure, why bother going bling....? It's covered when it's not in use and when you are using it, all you see is the food...

I got nobody to impress... ;)

I ran across these reviews when I was looking, an dthey were helpful for at least laying out the pros and cons, and letting me know which models to consider and what to look for.

I looked everywhere for the Fiesta Optima, but can't find it anywhere (even though the mfg site says they sell through HD, Sears and KMart). Might be worth a look if you can find one near you.

:off: IS that Fesca up that chickens A$$?

Well...it's a Fresca can, filled with brown ale, garlic and spices. Good eye though! I can't remember the last time I had a can of beer in the house, so I have to improvise. Fresca & vodka is one of my "floating in the pool" beverages of choice!

I decided to get a new grill 2 years ago I bought the 4 burner Perfect flame model #2518SL-LPG from Lowes.... What a piece if $hit :mad:

The lid has surface rust on it because they use the cheapest SS on the market I have never use anything other than SS grill cleaner and micro fiber cloth to clean the outside. And all the SS is so thin it bends if the door/lid or draw binds just a bit. The grill covered all the time
I have had replaced 2 of the 4 burners and the other 2 are ready to go.I am going to buy cast iron replacements next time. Cant get the side burner to adjust correctly I have taken it apart to clean everything (no spider webs) still get a sooty flame.

I end up using my old Weber Genesis grill most of the time its about 7 years old and works like the day I bought it. Yes it smaller only three burners and no side . But I'm glad my son moved to an Apt where he cant grill so he brought it back last winter. Only thing that broke on it was the handle and Weber sent me a new one free of charge 3 years after I purchased it.

Chargriller Duo...
digimarc.ms

* 42,000-BTU three-burner gas cooking chamber, and 24-in. charcoal cooking chamber
* 12,000-BTU side-burner and charcoal starter
* 1,246-sq. in. of cooking surface
* Side fire-box adaptable

$249 from Academy.. Great grill with alot of adaptability

My only advice would be to get the best one you can afford. I went through gas grills every few years before I got the Jenair. It was costy, but I've had it for 3 years and not one issue yet.

Looks nice, but there are no Academys around here, and last I checked they didn't ship. The charcoal's not all that important to me, anyway; I've got a classic Weber charcoal grill that I love (except the wheel keeps falling off :mad:), even though I rarely have time to use it.

"Best I can afford" is too hard to define. I could spend $1,000 on a grill and not have to feed my family hot dogs, but I don't want to. There are too many other things I'd rather spend the $750 or $800 difference on!

Back