Your favorite place to have a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niquejim

Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
olllllo started this thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=65783
the 125 best places to have a beer

Even he said it isn't comprehensive, so like someone on http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics did I'll start the list of your favorite places to have a beer

Here's mine in no particular order

Stanley Cup Finals Pittsburgh 1991
Fishing off the coast of Florida
After white water rafting the Youghiogheny river floating on a raft
Homecoming game Penn State
My garage when I open a new brew for the first time
Some pub I don't recall the name of in London while in the Navy
Hospitality Suite in the infield at Daytona the year Dale Sr. won

How about you?

In no particular order

The Little Red Shed at McMenamin's Edgefield - Troutdale OR
The Kulminator - Antwerpen Belgium
Zum Uerige, Dusseldorf, Germany
Falling Rock Taphouse - Denver CO
The Live Wire - San Diego CA
Collins Pub - Seattle WA
t’Bruges Biertja, Bruges, Belgium
The Horse Brass Pub - Portland OR
The Black Friar - London England
The Darlington Inn - Camelford, Cornwall England
The Stumbling Monk - Seattle WA
Le Bier Circus, Brussels, Belgium
Russian River Brewing Co. - Santa Rosa CA

Dow Diamond, home to my town's minor league baseball team the Great Lake Loons. The Loons are only in their second season and the ballpark was brand new last year and it's beautiful! Fireplaces/-pits, huge video scoreboard, etc. etc. Awesome venue for baseball and the beer is reasonably priced ($5 for a 24oz beer in a collector's cup) That is for Bud Light or Labatt's. They also contracted with a local microbrew for their own brew - Loon's Brew or something along those lines. It's better than the domestics (I realize that technically Labatt's is not a domestic, but in MI it might as well be) but it's more expensive too. And when I'm at a ball game, I'm there to swallow some cheap beer!

Good Times!!

On couch, watching baseball or college basketball. Bonus points for really good beer, Orioles baseball, Tar Heel basketball.

In the locker room after a hockey game.

On my roof-top deck, after work and before dinner.

On the couch after a long run.

Sharing a bomber of brown ale with my sweet lass.

Savoring some HB while chatting it up in the HBT chatroom.

And any McMenamin's. I don't care what you Portland beer snobs say, McMenamin's is the bees knees.

And the Horsebrass pub.

This place, as soon as I get it done.

BrewHaus-IHOF.jpg

Two places come to mind- the first is the I&I Rooftop Bar in Caye Caulker, Belize. The only two story building on the island, with rickety steps (so NOT up to US codes!) and you sit on the flat roof and can barely see the lights from the mainland 20 miles alway as the Caribbean breeze blows over you. I spent my birthday 2002 there. It was early (but dark), and Bob and I were alone in the bar. I was drinking a Belikin beer.

The other place is also in Belize- but on the mainland. A thatched roof building on stilts with open windows on the sand in the caribbean. It was called Mangoes, and we sat at the open window and felt the breeze over us as we ate ceviche and drank Belikin. Might have been my birthday in 2001- I think. To find this bar, you walk on the beach from your cabana with your right foot in the water. Coming back in the dark, you keep your left foot in the water. It was only about 500 yards up the beach. But there were no other buildings for miles around, so it was wonderful.

Interesting ones first:
Oktoberfest Zinzinnati, 2007. All the best German bier, music, and food outside of Germany. Munich's "sister city" did it right last year. We arrived for lunch but then kept drinking and eating and partying late into the evening.

Montana Beer Fest, 2006. The best beer the west had to offer, and lots of experimental stuff and chatting with the pros (many of whom didn't care if you had a beer ticket or not). Good times.

At the edge of Hyalite Lake (outside Bozeman, MT) after one of the most beautiful and rewarding hikes of my life. (it was worth lugging the beers up there)

And now the less interesting, but more genuine responses:

Evenings on the front porch or lawn with friends. It's hard to beat great conversations and great beers under the stars on a summer night.

Brew sessions with SWMBO. She is still and always will be my favorite drinking buddy, and having her as a brew partner is just that much better!

Really enjoying reading these posts, and want to add a forecast: Here's hoping the upcoming 2008 AHA Homebrew Conference Club Night becomes the next addition to my list! Can't wait say "cheers" with some of you HBT'ers and actually clink pints together!

When I lived in Germany, there was a little place about 2 min on bike from my house on a scenic bend in the Rhine. It was called the Aschloch (literally a hole in an Ash Tree, but a play on words ... Arschloch=a-hole). It was basically a little hut with my 4 favorite regional beers on draft, some basic sausages and chips, and a bunch of outdoor tables in the grass next to the river. I could drink Shumacher Alt there until my liver crawled away. I know I've hit an Alt recipe right if the first whiff puts me right back there.

My garage now that I have a 4-tap kegerator.

And Hollingshead's Delicatessen by my house here in Orange. They have lots of taps full of great beer, and hundreds of bottles of great beer to take home. They even let you put your name on a glass and keep it there. Plus their sandwiches are amazing.

My patio on a cool spring evening with a big fire raging in the pit. The taps are within steps and there is no line for the bathroom. A nice game of bags or pool are right at my fingertips too.

#2 - US Cellular field - watching my White Sox spank an opponent.

outside. just anywhere outside is almost always preferable. but i'll have to put my favorite bar as the Sonka here in Terre Haute.

This place. I've only been there twice, but I will definitely return. Spectacular beers from their own brewery, amazing food, wonderful traditional pub atmosphere...vastly better than the "chain" pubs in London. When I told the bartender I was a homebrewer, generous samples of EVERYTHING started appearing in front of me. Oddly enough, they had one of the greatest APAs I've ever had.

What a luck discovery, we only ducked in there to get out of the rain, but stayed a few hours and came back later for dinner.

The Greenwich Union

EDIT: I stopped by BevMo today, and found these! So while I can't go back to the Greenwich Union anytime soon, at least I can enjoy their beer! :ban:

meantime.jpg

Tecate at the bottom of the Grand Canyon from the Phantom Ranch commissary- $4.
Old Chub that you packed in and enjoy at Indian Gardens on the way up - Priceless!

2504389468_0fdff5eae8.jpg

One that comes to mind is the back terrace of the Domotel Volos in Greece, with the sound of the waves of the Pagasetic Gulf lapping on the shore. In Greece, when you order a round of drinks, they bring you a snack to go with it, and the snacks get better with each round. The first round will be chips or nuts. The second round might be some bread with a dipping sauce. The third round might be a sandwich. By the end of the night, you might be eating lobster ravioli.

Back