GF Lager Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tflew

Reaction score
This is my first real attempt at making my own recipe...its pretty basic but let me know what you think.

3 Gallon Batch

2.5 pounds Briess White Sorghum Extract
2 pounds Brown Rice Extract
4 oz GF Oats
.25 oz Cascade @ 60min
.25 oz Cascade @ 15min

I recently measured the temps of my fridge and decided that I can make a lager, so I plan on lagering this. Haven't really decided on a yeast yet so let me know what you think. I was thinking I would make a preboil tea of sorts with the oats.

Let me know what you think :mug:

You're not going to get much out of 4 oz of oats. I always use at least 1 lb in my recipes that use adjunct grains (for 3 gallons of wort). Otherwise looks good, you should be happy with the results! Cascade isn't a traditional lager hop, but I expect it will be delicious in its own way.

Ok I will bump up the oats to 1lb. My thought process with the Cascade was 1. I have a lot of it lying around and 2. It might go well with the sorghum?

Thanks for the input

Yeah, cascade is great in sorghum-based beers. Any citrusy hops really shine with sorghum in a way that they don't with barley-based beers. If you go really nuts with them you can end up with something that tastes identical with a dry grapefruit soda when young. After a few weeks the citrus mellows out and it tastes like proper beer. With more restrained amounts, such as you're using, it's just a nice pleasant citrus flavor.

Just to report back I finally got around to brewing this lager yesterday. SG of 1.058. wort was sweet and seems like it has good potential. Its my first lager and so far so good. Ill keep ya updated as it comes along

I'm GF.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a gluten-free beer that I can get at the store?
My wife & I tried one from Belgium called Green's but it was so bitter that we poured it out...yes, it has to be pretty bad for me to waste beer.
I think the least worst one was redbridge

Green's was too bitter for you? Which one did you try, the blonde, the dark dubbel, or the amber? I don't recollect any of them having more than a very mild hop character, so if they're too bitter, I won't even bother recommending New Planet or St. Peter's, because those are even hoppier. You're probably best off sticking with Redbridge.

In the future, though, you should start a new thread, rather than hijacking an unrelated one. Just basic netiquette.

Green's was too bitter for you? Which one did you try, the blonde, the dark dubbel, or the amber? I don't recollect any of them having more than a very mild hop character, so if they're too bitter, I won't even bother recommending New Planet or St. Peter's, because those are even hoppier. You're probably best off sticking with Redbridge.

In the future, though, you should start a new thread, rather than hijacking an unrelated one. Just basic netiquette.

Sorry about the lack of netiquette but I couldn't figure out a way to start a new thread. Maybe because I'm new and have a fee account.
I think it was the blonde one. I didn't spend much time with it since it lasted one drink before discarding.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Just to update anyone who's been following this the lager has been carbonated and drank and was a big success. Nothing to complicated but smooth and incredibly clear. My dad really enjoyed it and he picked it over Redbridge in a blind taste test. I also had my mom and brother do the same thing and they both picked my lager. Nothing to scientific but when it comes down to it its all about taste anyways.

Next time I will try to brew a bigger batch and maybe add some flavor with orange peels or something. Overall, a success!!

Back