Doble-Doble Toil and Troble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac951

Reaction score
For those who haven't ready Randy Mosher's Extreme Brewing Book,
Today I am trying an extreme brewing technique the DOUBLE

Grains:
16lbs Rahr 2-row
2lbs Munich Light
1lb CaraVienne
1lb CaraPils
1lb CaraMunich
1lb Crystal 40°

Not crazy yet, but wait.

Divide grain into 2 batches.

Mash first 11lb batch and sparge to collect 4 gallons.
Use the Wort from first batch, heat to strike temp
and use as hot liquor for second 11 lbs.

Now that is extreme! :rockin:
Good by Light Lager, Hello Full Bodied Strong!

I'll keep the grains to re-cap and run off a session ale (I'm shooting for brown porter) and bump up OG with some DME.

No recipe for you until I complete the batch, as I have no idea how I'm going to hop this until I get the SG for the boil.

-Mac

I too am doing the Doble in a few weeks. Going with a pretty straight grain bill of either 22# MO or Belgian Pils & 2# Caramunich plus a pound of EKG. Probably going to pitch on either WLP 500 or some Notty. Here is what I am thinking:

12# in the cooler mashtun w/ 6 gallons @ 152 for 20 min. rest (don't need to wait for conversion cause it is all gonna be mashed again during round 2.)

Run everything off into the kettle that already has the other 12# of grain in my BIAB bag.
Top up to 6.5 gallons and heat to 148 and lest it rest for 60-75 mins.
Pull out the bag to drain, saves time instead of waiting for the mashtun to slowly drain a second time.

Boil-hops-boil-chill-pitch-pray

Dump the whole grist from the BIAB back with the saved 12# of basically unsparged grains in the mashtun and cap with some Crystal 60 then fill that to the rim with fresh strike water and rest for 30 mins. @ 152 and then drain that to a second kettle for a small beer. Fly sparge as needed to get up to 6.5 gals pre-boil.

Second turkey burner
Boil-hops-boil-hops-boil-more hops-chill-pitch-keep praying

Have you done fermenting yours yet?
Any SG or FG?

I was just looking at this recipe in the book - any thoughts on how I could do this as an extract recipe? It says that I can get up to OG with 13lbs of DME, but just wondering if there's any alternatives to the process that I would want to consider?

Back