Nube attempting a DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramgrad

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post and first Double IPA. Here's what I've created as a partial mash recipe. Looking for any feedback I can get. Also, I haven't had much luck with head retention on my beers. See anything I can do here to improve on that?

9 lbs Light DME
1.5 lbs Munich
1.0 lbs Rye

HOPS
60 min 1.5oz Warrior
30 min 1.0oz Magnum
15 min 1.0oz Warrior
5 min 1.0oz Magnum
0 min 2.0oz Northern Brewer
Dry Hop @ 7days 2.0oz N.Brewer Dry Hop @ 4days 2.0oz Cascade leaf

Wyeast American Ale II (1272)

Ok, just my 2 cents, and I am not sure what kind of DIPA you are looking for, but you might want to re-think your hop schedule and maybe the late addition of warrior, not sure you get much from that flavor wise. Think something along the lines of 60, 15, 10, 5,o min additions. A lot of earthy hops there too, if that is what you are going for, maybe add some cascade to late additions, that is where you get all your flavor and aroma.

Curious about the hop schedule as well... I assume these are the hops you have on hand. That being said it looks to me like a rather harshly bitter beer

Ok, how about this schedule:

60min warrior
15min magnum
10min Northern Brewer
5min Cascade
0min Cascade
Same dry hopping schedule

I don't own any of these hops, but I was going for an "earthy" profile. I've never used Northern Brewer either, but heard they were a good multi-use hop. Not so much?

Back