Force carb or naturally carb a barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyjerky214

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle a barleywine I brewed last summer and have been bulk aging in a keg ever since. My original plan was to force carbonate it and then bottle off the keg, but I'm starting to think about naturally carbing instead.

Does beer age differently when it's naturally carbed and there's that little bit of yeast in the bottom of the bottle as opposed to beer that's been force carbed?

I am getting ready to do the same thing. I have a barleywine bulk aging in a keg for the last 3 months. My plan is to add sugar to the keg, swirl to mix while under CO2, and then bottle. Essentially using my keg as a bottling bucket. I think bottle conditioning will be great for a BW. It should keep any oxidation to a minimum and help it age.

Anyone else?

That's a good idea to mix in the priming sugar in the keg so you can make sure you get a good, even mix. If I go the natural carbing route, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Back