portable draft beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvh

Reaction score
I love the hardware store.

Out at Lowes last night, I noticed that their Kobalt line of tools are now designed to run off of a miniature tank of compressed CO2. They have 2 sizes of refillable, replacement tanks, 11 and 22 oz each (I think).

I don't know what connector it comes with (it was sealed on the packaging) but I bet someone could rig a system for kegged beer.

You can also purchase a mini regulator to go with these tanks, complete with hoses, etc.

I couldn't find the replacement tanks online, presumably because they won't ship the canisters, but click here to see the tank and regulator setup...

I haven't yet started kegging my beer, so I don't know what might be involved with this, but does this seem like a great idea to anyone else?

kvh

Easy to do. can you cut the pressure down below 10psi?

You can get a ball lock fitting that is threaded. A 45* galvinized elbow (1/4" I believe). Drill and tap it for the threaded fiting (I can't remember the thread size and pitch at the moment)
You may be able to get a nipple and go straight to the regulator, or thread in a male disconnect into the nipple (if it is 1/4", you may have to get a reducer to match the disconnect's thread)

I built a rig a few months back to run off a paintball cylinder. Now that I've gone to nitrogen I can carbonate with 3 to 5 psi (maybe less) and serve with nitrogen.

If you do go thru with this you can get a small cooler (2 gallon igloo elite works great, the shank threads perfectly into the spigot hole) and run a stainless coil (copper works fine, just need to clean it more frequently).

Personally, I'm a fan of EdWort's mobile tap. I hope to make one of these bad boys sometime soon.

Hey Edwort, did you ever post a how-to for this one? Just curious...

4569-Beer2Go-1.jpg

Back