Haven't seen this before... (panicked 'infection' concern)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviticus

Reaction score
Just kidding. Not panicked... I have every intention of putting this beer in a keg this evening and enjoying it a week from now. That being said, anybody ever seen anything like this before or have any thoughts? (I'm speaking of the distinct white film that is definitely not a krausen.)

For the record:
This is what this beer is:
Abbey Grand Cru recipe.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 74.50 %
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 14.33 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.87 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.43 %
0.10 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 0.57 %
0.10 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 0.57 %
0.40 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (20 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 5.73 %
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

I brewed it 5/29/2011
I think I racked it to secondary somewhere mid-june.
Today, while checking my carboys, I noticed the airlock on this beer had gone dry enough to let atmosphere in... argh.
These pictures were taken today, 7/5/2011...

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

Just kinda freaked me out, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any input... :D

Thanks for the reply guys, it's now kegged, sitting under 30PSI, and rapidly approaching 40 degrees..

I must say though, that if it is Brett, it couldn't have happened to a better beer... that was a New Belgium Abbey Grand Cru clone. Granted the sample I took was warm and flat, but it's a dead ringer for my tastes.

Thank god, you actually have an infection for once....

Er I mean it's refreshing not to see a typical "is my beer infected?" thread when it's just yeast rafts or krausen....an actual pellicule thread is a nice distraction from the typical new brewer panic...

Of course you prolly wish at this point it WAS just yeast rafts. ;)

Enjoy your funkybeer.

Well, I can honestly say that I didn't notice the pellicule when I was placing the two other carboys next to it this weekend (I don't recall if the airlock was open or not), but I realize the Brett (I'm assuming that's what this was) was in there well before the pellicule. I would probably estimate that it was open for a week, maybe more.

I did however, notice that I did have vodka in that air-lock. So, I guess that's not even perfect - lesson learned. It will now be a part of my morning routine to check the airlock levels, lol.

@ Revvy - glad I could provide a nice infection respite. Perhaps I should have made the title "ZOMG, I have to stop brewing, my house is infected." Although, I'm a little dissapointed no one asked to come dispose of it for me, see as that's the standard infection reply ;)

Back