Dawn Dish Soap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blotto

Reaction score
I just bought my first kit last Friday from a couple that had been brewing for 5-6 years. I thought I'd clean the carboys right away and used Dawn dish soap with lots and lots of HOT water.
I have now come to learn that I may have made a huge mistake. I've bought bleach and was going to use 10mL to 5 liter of cool water to clean out and scrub with a 90 degree brush and rinse with HOT water.
BEFORE I do anything that I regret further, what is the best way to clean a carboy after using dish soap and for general use of the equipment.
I have now learned that dish soap is NOT the answer.
Thanks for your response and experience in this matter.

There's nothing wrong with cleaning with dish soap AFAIK. Just make sure you thoroughly rinse it out and you'll be fine. There shouldn't be any need for bleach.

FYI, Dawn is actually not a soap, but a detergent. I use it all the time. It has one of the highest percentages of active ingredient than most other off the shelf dish detergents. More bang for the buck. I have an insider friend that told me this. Anyway, Dawn is fine to use, just rinse well as you would with any other cleaner. I do prefer Oxyclean for general cleaning taske, but I often add some Dawan as well. I'm one of the fortunate brewers that has never had an infection or contanimantion problem. Not that there have not been other issues, but those have not surfaced in over ten years of brewing....knock on wood.

Back